1.01.2019

and in with the new books! (Classics Challenge 2019)

Another Classics Challenge! I haven't picked all my categories but that's okay since I ended up changing probably half last year from my initial picks anyway. While I was excited to do this challenge, I had a hard time coming up with even these picks at first but I really really want to read Karen Wise Prior's On Reading Well yet haven't read all the books she talks about it. So I figured I'd use that as an additional motivation. So there is quite a bit of overlap between her list and mine. I'll mark those with a *

1. 19th Century Classic  -  I tend to read a lot from this category so it shouldn't be hard to fill but I don't have a specific choice yet. 

2. 20th Century Classic - I got nothing. 

3. Classic by a Woman Author. Ethan Frome* by Edith Warton if I find myself up to it. Or something fun and light like a D.E. Stevenson novel if I find I'm not!

4. Classic in Translation. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. Trusted sources say it's good. I'll believe them. 

5. Classic Comic Novel. Something by Wodehouse. I don't dislike Wodehouse but I don't find myself as enamored by him as I feel like I should be. Perhaps reading one outloud or as an audiobook? If you had to pick your favorite Wodehouse, what would you choose? (Except don't pick the Code of the Woosters because I read that last year)

6. Classic Tragic Novel. The Great Gatsby*. I can't believe I haven't read this. I also don't really want to read it but I want to listen to the Close Reads episodes and I don't allow myself to do that unless I've read the material first. So read it I must. 

7. Very Long Classic. Tom Jones* This is a bit of a gamble because I haven't even heard of it. I'm pretty sure I should have heard of it, but I hadn't. And it's really long. But I'm gonna give it a try. I do wish I had a back-up so if you have another really good Long Classic to recommend, please do!

8. Classic Novella. The Death of Ivan Ilyich*

9. Classic From the Americas (includes the Caribbean). Robinson Crusoe. An Ambleside Online year 4 book I need to pre-read. I'm guessing Lucy and I will read at least the beginning of this together but I still think pre-reading will be useful. 

10. Classic From Africa, Asia, or Oceania (includes Australia).  Silence by Shusaku Endo*. This is a Reading Well selection but I also heard about it on the radio while driving somewhere and was really interested but then couldn't remember the title so when I looked it up, I was so excited to see that it was the elusive "Japanese+priest+sad" book that google didn't help me find a few years ago. Although just for kicks I recently googled those terms and it was on the first page. So either my google skills have increased or the book has had a recent surge in popularity. 

11. Classic From a Place You've Lived. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.* Oh, good old Mark Twain. Maybe I'll read this and then be so enamored I'll convince Craig that we should go spend a weekend in Hannibal Missouri to see at the Twain-y goodness there. Actually, he's been trying to get me to go there for a while (we did make a brief stop on another roadtrip but only for an hour or so) so that won't take much effort. 

12. Classic Play. Shakespeare, either Much Ado about Nothing or Hamlet. Jonah's joining in with Shakespeare on what is now our Form 1 rotation and these are the two we will definitely do. We might add a third depending on what the city's Shakespeare in the Park pick is (announced later this month!) I've already picked out our memory passages from each and I'm so excited it is becoming more of a official family subject (although Jonah has often sat in for it anyway). Our next academic year will have Lucy bumping up to full Shakespeare and not just the Lamb's version and I think we might do one of these since it will be fresh in our minds. And really, is there every not a good time for Shakespeare?

So that's my starting plan at least. I'm excited to get reading! And if you're on the fence about joining, go for it. You only have to read 6 of the 12 categories and its really fun!

1 comment :

  1. The Death of Ivan Ilyich was excellent and I have Tom Jones in my sights too, as I've heard that it's very funny! Hamlet ..... I can't even describe how amazing it is! All the best with this challenge! :-)

    ReplyDelete