11.24.2009

And so it begins...

A couple months ago I purchased a cloth diaper for a friend's baby shower gift and somehow I got added to a baby mailing list. It was slowing down though until a few weeks ago when all of a sudden, the baby mailings increased with a vengeance. I'm not sure how they got my information, the only way I can think of them getting that information is my doctor but surely they couldn't give out my address, could they? I will give them the benefit of the doubt, especially since I was already getting some things but can the huge increase be just a coincidence?

Anyway, it's a bit much. Before it was just a flyer or random coupon every month or so, but not now. I came home a few days ago to this: a box with a baby feeding guide, two cans of formula and a reminder to ask for my free Similac sling pack at the hospital, complete with pre-filled bottles measured for a newborn. I don't want to use formula but even if I did, I don't really think I'm quite ready to get large cans in the mail. But I know what they want, they want to get me hooked on their product. Just like the Pampers and Huggies diapers I received last week.


I promise this isn't going to turn into an anti-formula post. I'm sure I'll talk later about my desire to breastfeed but this is more of anti-consumerism for babies post (that's an awkward phrase but it is better than anti-baby consumerism since that sounds like I'm anti-baby).

The amount of "buy this for your baby" propaganda is ridiculous. I read a couple of the mainstream baby magazines before I realized they are just 30 page advertisements for things you "need" to have. The article about how to prevent stretch marks is really just a list of the top 5 stretch mark creams (at least one of which was over $50). Ditto for the "how to deal with diaper rash" article.

The actually ads are even more confusing. Especially for baby toys because, unlike commercials for toys for the 5-7 year old crowd, these ads are actually aimed at me. My kid is not old enough to by heartbroken if they don't receive a Zhu-Zhu pet for Christmas, "forcing" parents to search high and low for a plastic hamster. No, to sell a product for anybody under 3, you have to convince the parent it is worthwhile. But none of the ads I see are remotely applealing. Look! The faster your kid scribles, the faster the music plays. That sounds awful. Why can't I just give my kid some paper and crayons and put a CD on in the background? Am I the only one who feels this way? Have the "I want to buy lots of crap for my kids" hormones just not kicked in yet?

7 comments :

  1. I would bet your dr gave them your address. Which stinks. We have had several miscarraiges and unfortunately the companies don't get the memo when that happens. So I'll get free diapers in the mail every 6 months or so saying "now that your child is in a size 3 diaper, try this!". That is very annoying.

    And on a funny note, you are so right about the propaganda. I am proud of you for your position on not going nuts over every toy. We were pretty nuts with our first baby, thinking he had to have every cool thing and we needed every cool gizmo as parents. Ironically, the diaper genie was chucked by the time he was 3 months, we used the changing table a few times, etc. Just go with your gut and what you feel your baby's needs are. Crayons and a CD are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marketers hate people like us. There's not much to sell that we'll consider buying.

    I have very simple toy tastes: blocks, balls, and things around the house. I get so frustrated with the sheer noise and the number of product tie-ins. I hope to have a mostly logo/character free house, but I haven't made a big deal about it with the grandparents yet. We have made an exception for Classic Pooh items because at least they come from a book. But there I draw the line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That usualy happens to people that are preganant.And you're exactly right. All they want is your money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't go so far as to think of these companies as evil. Sure, they want to make money, but to do so they have to provide something people find useful. People who don't want the stuff they send can give it away, like we do. Annoying, maybe, but their motives aren't sinister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I found this... (((http://blogs.chron.com/momhouston/2009/11/how_to_avoid_wasting_money_on.html))) in the Houston Chronicle over the Thanksgiving Break. Found it online for you... thought it was wonderful how the first thing is don't read Parenting magazines. While we were trying to get pregnant I avoided them to protect my heart. After reading one at my first doctor's visit I realized I needed to avoid them to protect our budget!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm... my link didn't work try this...


    http://blogs.chron.com/momhouston/
    2009/11/how_to_avoid_
    wasting_money_on.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. It works if you copy and paste. I liked some of the comments especially.

    ReplyDelete