4.05.2018

Classic Challenge: The Secret Adversary

I've read lots of Agatha Christie but never any of the Tommy and Tuppence series. The Secret Adversary is the first in that series and I do hope to get my hands on more.

It seems a bit less intense and something else that I'm having a hard time putting a finger on, maybe less, philosophical, than some of her others reads. By that I mean that a book like Murder on the Oriental Express has you thinking not just about details of the crime and the characters inner thoughts and motives but then also bigger ideas of justice and revenge. This is not like that. It's fast and snappy and a lot of fun. But it's still very clever and of course, excellent writing. It sucks you right in. Then there is the great twist. And while I do love Dorothy Sayers, I never really feel like I have a chance at actually figuring those out. Lord Peter is just much smarter than me. Maybe I've got a bit of change with Poirot or Miss Marple but it's a stretch. But here, I did pretty well without feeling like the answer was too obvious and contrived - maybe Tommy and Tuppence are more of my intellectual equivalents. I love mysteries so I'll take them on all levels.

The Secret Adversary is my Back to the Classics Challenge Crime Story. Check out more Crime stories over at Books and Chocolate. Since this is one of my favorite genres, I'm sure I'll be reading all the reviews for more books to add to my stack!

No comments :

Post a Comment