5.18.2020

Classics Challenge: Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglas

I've had this on my phone for a while but I never really sit down on a saturday night and think "yes, let's read this" because I knew it would be challenging. Not physically, its a fairly easy and quick read. But emotionally its hard to read about the depths of human sin.

And Douglas does such an amazing job. He's clear and articulate and matter of fact about his experiences while also exposing the depravity of slavery. Sin, especially the sin of slavery and devaluing of human life, is so destructive. It's not content with the current spread but infests and moves through human souls and communities like locusts. We may not have legalized slavery in our country right now but we still have that sin in multiple forms. I was thinking about some of his statements for quite a while - well, I'm still thinking about them!

I also loved his views on education and learning to read. And his ability to glean such a wonderful education (as one can tell from his writing) the way he did is powerful. A podcast I was listening to recently mentioned his speeches and now I really want to track some down and read them as well. This work of his is definitely going on my "kids need to read this before graduation" list.

It's powerful. Just go read it if you haven't.

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglas is my Back to the Classics Book by a POC Author Selection. Head over to Karen's at Book and Chocolate for more challenge reviews.


No comments :

Post a Comment