10.05.2011

A pretty picture

I was a good girl and started the kitchen project with the important things like a practical layout and lots of storage. But that isn’t the fun part, the fun part involves colors and textures and design!
I love interior design and spent my senior year of high school torn between pursing architecture/design and a science degree. I’m glad I went with science, mostly because I did not have enough fashion sense to survive at a design school, but I’m glad I get the chance to explore my creative side a bit more now. But it is a tad bit intimidating. Designing a kitchen is more of a commitment than picking a paint color and I did not want to get this wrong!
Luckily for me, Pinterest came along at just the right time. I had been trying to mentally keep track of the kitchens I liked, but it wasn’t until I saw it all laid out on Pinterest that I felt confident in my vision – both that I knew what I wanted and that I wasn’t a weirdo for wanting it.
See if you can spot the similarities between some of my favorite inspiration images:




 This one evens comes complete with a husband and baby – but mine are cuter :-)


  • White cabinets
  • Dark grey/black counters
  • Wood floors
  • Pops of bright colors, specifically yellows and blues/greens
While my confidence might have been a bit shaken my the H.D. lady going on and on about how black countertops would be too much of a contrast with white cabinets and how I would regret that decision – I say poo-poo. I know what I want and, at least theoretically, it’s gonna look goood.

3 comments :

  1. I am living proof that you do not need fashion sense to make it through a design program. Your kitchen inspirations are beautiful though, can't wait to see the finished product!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, such pretty yellow and green-blue pottery in that one. Love it. Also, two thumbs up for the dark countertops with white cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black or dark natural countertops look WONDERFUL with white cabinets..that would be my choice if we were going to re-do things!

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete