10.18.2011

Toddler Tuesday: Finally some art that she likes!

Now that Lucy is older (and Pinterest exists :-) I have tons of things I want to do with her, but without a time set aside to do them, I'm pretty sure they would remain ideas. Enter the weekly rhythm. Our daily rhythm is pretty good, just consistent enough without being rigid but I had never really gotten a weekly rhythm into place until lately. And I love it.

Now that Wednesday is baking day, we actually bake together. Thursday is supposed to be art day. She has access to her playdough all the time and uses it at least once a day and her crayons and chalkboard wall are regulars in the play department but I wanted to do fun messy sensory art projects with her on Thursday.

But it turns out, she doesn't like to be messy. At least not with art. I tried making goop with cornstarch, food coloring and water and putting it on a cooking sheet for her to play with. I had a lot of fun demonstrating how it worked but Lucy touched it with one finger, then refused to go near it again. I thought maybe it was because it was sticky so the next week I tried with finger painting (water plus food coloring). She just gave my a "if you even think I'm touching that, you better have another think coming" look. (Have I mentioned that she can now roll her eyes, heaven help me!)

But I have finally found something she likes - sticker art! We got some free stickers in the mail and I put them aside until a few days later, Thursday rolled around and I, slightly discouraged and tired of searching pinterest for things she wouldn't want to do, had yet to come up with an art project idea. So we sat down with a piece of paper and the stickers. She immediately loved it.

She would point to which sticker she wanted and I would hand it to her. She would very thoughtfully decide where it should go and put it in its place, carefully making sure it was all flat and secure. She really did work precisely and with a lot of effort and thought.



And when it was done, she was so proud of herself. I put it on the fridge and everytime she saw it, she reminded me that we had to show daddy when he got home - and she did!

I guess this is a good case of follow the child. She doesn't want to do crazy tactile messy hands art projects at this point but that doesn't mean she can't be creative. And Disney character stickers would not be my ideal but if she's happy, so am I.


2 comments :

  1. She looks so happy/proud of her work! That is wonderful. I'm with you on the whole weekly schedule thing. It's nice to have a rhythm to the week (even if we don't always get to stick to it).

    ReplyDelete