2.18.2013

SSMT #3

I've decided to spent the next 6 weeks learning the whole schema. That's more than 1 verse every two weeks, but I'm already fairly familiar with this passage so it shouldn't be hard. I didn't pick this because of any specific issue I'm facing but because I think it is an excellent focus passage - this is my job from God, as a mother and as a person. 

Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. Deut 6:4-9

I've read several places that if you are going to memorize a longer passage, to start it all at once instead of trying to add on verses to the end over time. Apparently, it's a brain function thing - you want your brain to connect it all from the beginning and if you keep trying to add verses, it's harder for your brain to keep that connection. I found this to be true when I looked back over some of my review memory verses and realized I'd memorized quite a bit from one chapter in Romans, not realizing the verses were connected. I tried to go back and learn it as a chapter but that was really really difficult which was frustrating - I already knew them, why couldn't I put them together!? Okay, rant over. The point is, I'll be reading and working on memorizing them as a chunk but meditating on just a few at a time. This time I'll be focusing on the verses four and five. 

1 comment :

  1. I like the new design! As cute as the old Brady Bunch image was, this is much cleaner.

    I've been meaning to read the chapter I'm memorizing from Titus start to finish every. You are right about the trouble with adding verses, so I'm going to figure out a time each day to work on the whole passage and make it a habit.

    ReplyDelete