6.20.2018

Classics Challenge - Jane Eyre

Ah, the re-read. It's always a joy to pick up a book with no worries that it won't be good or that it will be good but you'll still end up emotionally scared (Villette!) or that you'll waste time waiting for the moment when you click with it but that never comes.

I first read Jane Eyre in high school and thought it was okay, a bit weird, not sure why everyone was so into Mr. Rochester 'cuz he was kinda creepy. I think I may have tried again later once or twice but I last read Jane Eyre in 2014 and it spoke to me. While I knew the plot, it really seemed like I hadn't ever really read the STORY before because how had I missed how amazing this book was.

I haven't read it since, partly because I was afraid it would ruin that last reading for me but I took a gamble. Short version: I still really love this book.

When I read this back in high school, I read it the same way I read Jane Austen books - as love stories. Despite what the movies try to convince you, neither of these authors is truly in it for the love story. Now, Jane Austen does have a better happier way of including that part than Charlotte Bronte so if you are reading it for that, you'll have more luck enjoying those but that really isn't the point and it can be frustrating because if you think that's what it's about, you'll miss a lot. With Austen, it's the wit and the social commentary and ideas about education and relationships and principles that get lost. With Jane Eyre, you've got to look at is the story of Jane and her struggles and growth and fortitude. Now add it some gothic elements - the mystery, the awesome setting, the supernatural, plus the rich language and you've got yourself a winner.

Jane Eyre is my Back to the Classics Challenge Re-read. Head over to Books and Chocolate to read more about the Classics Challenge and get other to-be-read pile ideas.

2 comments :

  1. This was my reread as well for this year. It's the first adult classic I ever read (back in 7th grade), and I go back to it only a little less often than I go back to Austen. I really enjoyed it this time around, and I followed it up with Wide Sargasso Sea for my 20th Century book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my all time favorites. Nice job distinguishing between Austen and CB. I like Austen, but I love CB. (not such a fan of Emily, and yet to get to Anne)
    http://100greatestnovelsofalltimequest.blogspot.com/2014/10/jane-eyre-by-charlotte-bronte-31-down.html

    ReplyDelete