12.26.2018

Classics Challenge: Kidnapped

The very first book I bought my very first child, even before she was born, was a small board book with a selection of poems from Robert Louis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses. We still have it and I love reading it to my babies although I have all of those poems memorized by now - as do most of them. And I'm looking forward to reading the full version with Jonah this spring as he beings Ambleside Online Year 1.

So I'm not sure why I don't enjoy his books quite as much. I didn't dislike Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde but I'm not rushing to re-read it either (although I do think it sadly suffers from such a well known plot. Knowing the outcome before you begin really dampens the shock and excitement of it and being well known isn't really the books fault). So I thought I'd try again with Kidnapped.

Maybe I should have gone with Treasure Island. Whomp Whomp. No, it's wasn't that bad. Kidnapped is just another one that I can't say much negative about - but I also didn't really enjoy. Lucy will read it next year for school and if I had to guess I'd say she'll like it slightly more than me (once she gets into it, she's one of those initial book naysayers at times) and Jonah will love it when he hits year 4. And I am keeping in the kid's curriculum so that is obviously saying something about it. In fact, it might be one I choose to read aloud with them because I do feel like I'm undervaluing it. But I also can't say exactly why that is.

That's vague which is annoying to you all I'm sure. It's a fun story of adventure. A young boy seeking his fortune, facing tough situations. A tale of justice and honor and friendship and hardship and struggle. I enjoyed the descriptions of the Scottish people and land. It does have some difficult dialogue (the scottish accent!) so maybe I'd have enjoyed it more if there was a David Tennant audiobook version although I probably could say that about almost any book. It's a good book just not my cup of tea.

Kidnapped is my Classic with a Single Word Title selection for the Back to the Classics Challenge. Sign-ups for the 2019 Challenge have begun so now is your time to head over to Books and Chocolate and learn more! 

No comments :

Post a Comment