2.10.2019

Classics Challenge - In This House of Brede

I didn't even realize this would qualify for the Classics Challenge when I started it but then I noticed it was written in 1969 and just made it. Which is good because I really want other people to read this one. I hadn't even heard of it until Cindy Rollins mentioned it on a podcast.

In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden is the story of cloistered Benedictine Abbey. The main character is a successful businesswomen who leaves all that behind to join the nuns and we get to follow along with her journey but its really not just about her. Godden does an amazing job of weaving all the characters together as they face challenges and grow as individuals and a community. Now I almost hate to put a short synopsis like this in this review because that honestly would not appeal to me. And while its a true synopsis, it just doesn't do this book justice.

It starts a bit slowly. I actually read the first chapter then a week later went back to it and had to start at the begining again because I hadn't absorbed any of it. But I stuck with it and before I knew it, I was completely drawn into this world that I didn't know much about and really wasn't particularly interested in other than for the people who were struggling with, ultimately, the same things I do - submission to God, finding his will, being interrupted by these "other people," realizing that the people "getting in the way" of my plans were God's means of refining me, being frustrated by my failures, realizing God's love for me through his blessings despite my failures.  People are people and struggle with the same things in whatever settings they live in. It's a book that's good for the soul but is also easy to take it and doesn't feel medicine going down. Not that I think one must be a Christian to enjoy this, in fact, looking at reviews on Goodreads I saw several people starting reviews with "I'm an atheist but I love this..."

Now, I don't want to build it up too much. It's a quiet book. Even fairly large events in the plot aren't sensationalized, they just happened. But its woven together so well. I highly recommend it.

Somewhat relatedly -  I'll be looking into reading another Godden book, perhaps one of her stories set in India. I have read China Court which was okay but not particularly noteworthy. But her children's book The Story of Holly and Ivy is one of my very favorite Christmas picture books every year though so I'm confident if I keep reading her books, they'll be more treasures found.

In This House of Brede is my Back to the Classics Challenge Classic by a Women selection. For more about the challenge, visit Books and Chocolate. You still have time to sign up and it's loads of fun!

No comments :

Post a Comment