10.04.2007

What is it that you do?

Have you ever heard a song and wondered what it was really about? That happens to me a lot. And some of the time, it is reasonable. Who knows what they heck some people are singing about. Other times, I think it is because I am naive.

Take Fancy, by Reba. I would have said Reba McEntire, but really, what other Reba is there? Anyway, every time I hear this song, I wonder...what is this about? Even with phrases like "just be nice to the gentlemen Fancy, They'll be nice to you" and "with my head hung down in shame" I denied it and thought "No, Reba wouldn't sing a song about a prostitute would she, I mean, she is a country singer but still?" Maybe her mom just took her to uptown to find a ...husband, yeah, that's it.

But I looked up the lyrics, and I do believe that ever time I have heard this song, it has always been cut off after the chorus that follows "I might have been born just plain white trash, but Fancy was my name" which does not tell you the whole story. Then I watched the video and it's pretty obvious what it is about. But that's okay, I have gotten over the shock already. And I will still go around singing "Here's your one chance.." and not even care that I am singing a song in first person about a hooker. Reba makes everyone classy.

3 comments :

  1. ive always felt bad for the poor girl, i think if my mom named me "fancy" i might be a hooker too... probably not, but thats a horrible thing to name a kid. I like Reba though too, she is a classy lady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reba is the modern day Lucille Ball, and I know you like her! Plus, that girl can sing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love Reba. Been to three concerts. Yup. Fancy is all about prostitution.

    ReplyDelete