10.03.2007

Shop For Your Health Insurance

I like this post from Coyote Blog so much, I'm going to copy the whole thing here. Especially since y'all don't like to click on links (oh yes, I know...). I also have one of the high-deductible plans he talks about here.

For years I had some kind of corporate health plan. When I started my own business, I bought a Blue Cross plan that roughly mirrored the corporate health plan I used to have -- very low deductible, lots of coverage. And it had very high premiums.

So I finally got serious and went out and did something 99% of Americans never do or never have to do: I went out and really researched my health care options. And what I found was that to raise our family's deductible from $500 a year to $2000 a year would save me over $3000 a year in premiums. In fact, if I switched plans, I would get just as high of a maximum payout and I would get a better gaurantee on future pricing and a commitment never to drop my coverage from a large, well-rated insurance company.

There's an old joke about an economist and another fellow walking down the street. There was a $10 bill laying on the ground, but the economist just walked right past it. The other fellow said "what are you doing, you just passed up $10." And the economist replied "It can't be a real $10 bill, because in an efficient market someone would have already picked it up."

That was my reaction to my health care options. I asked my broker, "you mean that if I increase my deductible $1500 I can save $3000 a year? Even in a worst case year I am better off, and in a healthy year I am MUCH better off." He replied "Yep." I asked, "But why doesn't everyone do this?" He just shrugged. As my Harvard investment management professor used to say, as he wrote up a market situation on the chalkboard to begin each class, either this is an opportunity, of there is something we don't understand. As I have gained more experience with my new health plan, I have become convinced it is the former.

McQ over at Q&O has a great post on insurance vs. insulation. I won't quote it all, but it is well worth your read. Towards the end, he quotes John Stoessel on my particular conundrum:

But people are so conditioned to expect others to pay their medical bills that they hate high deductibles: They feel ripped off if they must pay a thousand dollars before the insurance company starts paying.

But high deductibles may be the key to lowering costs and putting you in charge of your health care.

I am absolutely convinced that the best possible step for US health care is to expose more users to the market and price-value trade offs, while providing high-deductible insurance that shelters people from bankrupting unusual events. More here, here, and here.

5 comments :

  1. Good stuff! We sure don't want to end up like Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm with you, craig. (or coyote) i'd much rather have the higher deductible...

    and how about sharing some love with SHSNE with a blogroll link?

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd been meaning to put you up there. Are you sure you can handle the tidal wave of traffic that is sure to result?

    ReplyDelete
  4. great stuff - thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete