10.28.2007

A Foray Into the Art World

On Friday we attended a Halloween art auction put on by the students at the USU art department. It was pretty entertaining, there was food, and we even bought some stuff.

This piece caught MacKenzie's eye during the pre-auction preview of items:


She delegated the actual participation in the auction to me. So when this item came up, I bid a couple of times, and the price went up to $6.50. I then sat back and watched the gavel come down upon my auction victory. And MacKenzie thought the item would cost $15. Ha! But wait a minute, someone outbid me? I didn't win? That's what MacKenzie thought, and apparently it was true. The auctioneer confused me. MacKenzie wasn't happy. But if I lost, how do I have a picture of the item? Stay tuned.

My art tastes are a bit different. Here's the item I planned to bid on. A bit reminiscent of the Venus de Milo, no?


Of course, the item wasn't in two pieces during the auction. I wouldn't have spent $3.50 on a broken statue. I won this item, and placed it under my seat. The statue was fine until I left it unattended at the end of the auction, at which time MacKenzie broke it (on purpose? I'll never know). Where was I during this time?

Having tracked down the winner of the apple picture, I headed over to that person as the auction ended to attempt to engage in that classic male activity - buying one's way out of the doghouse. I was able to buy the print for $10, quite a premium over what I could have bought it for an hour earlier. But you do what you have to do.

My, how the tables turned in a short span of time! I went from being a lug who screwed up an auction to a man who had his statue broken. MacKenzie went from being deprived of a piece of art she wanted to one who destroyed my art. But did I used my wronged status to play upon her guilt to my advantage? Of course not; I don't work that way.

I may try to repair my statue, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Upon closer examination, she's not as hot as I thought she was. And all the important parts of the statue are on the same piece (the left one). The right piece really holds no interest for me.

7 comments :

  1. So having earned some Marriage Credit, you decided to spend it all publishing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have broken that statue too.... not gonna lie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Craig you certainly could repair the statue . . . and turn it into a lamp. And MacKenzie, to make it up to Craig, you should offer to buy the lamp shade (don't forget the measuring tape!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like the right piece of the statue. her stomach is MUCH nicer than mine.

    come to think of it. the left side looks nicer than what i have, too.

    excuse me. i have to go cry now.

    i loved this story...it made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. $10??? Art for less is the theme here. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that you should console yourself by buying the high-heeled leg lamp from "A Christmas Story".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel, whatever "Marriage Credit" Craig earned for being super nice (and he was) only balanced out what I earned when I agreed to his purchase of that statue, even with our agreement that it would be located in his office and never where I could see it.

    ReplyDelete