10.09.2007

The Nose Doctor Knows

Just got back from the otolaryngologiest (nose doctor) and I gained a lot for my $35 co-pay.

1. Peace of mind. My nose is fine. A combination of allergies and dry Utah air has done a number on my septum but I got some good tips for how to prevent (and not just stop) the nosebleeds and a reason to hope - at least the cold weather will probably take away my allergies. So now I have a reason to like the snow. This is the outcome that I was hoping for as well as the one that I was pretty sure would happen.

2. Fear. If I don't stop whining about them, Craig will make me go back for him to have them cauterized (ahh!). Mr. Nose Doctor said it's not a big deal but I said, No Thank You! I'll stick with the old school tissue clamp for now.

3. Something to hold over Craig next time he tells me I should visit the doctor. I can just say, "Remember that last time I was all sick and you told me to go visit the doctor and he ended up telling me what I already knew and it was just a waste of my worry energy. (Because, it's not like I have an unlimited supply of that!). That is my favorite part of this whole thing.

This incident reminds me of something a doctor once told my aunt, "Some people are sick, and some people just don't feel good." Which used to be something my mom would repeat to us when we complained we were sick. But actually, that doctor was an idiot because my aunt had M.S. and he didn't take the time to listen to her. See, another reason doctors are boo.

3 comments :

  1. I had my nose cautorized when I was younger. My nose used to bleed all the time. It actually got worst instead of better too.

    The experience was not fun. Not at all. Not painful, just not fun. I would do it again though. I've only had two nosebleeds since then, and those were from getting my nose hit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You say you "got some good tips for how to prevent (and not just stop) the nosebleeds." So the trip WAS worth it. And now you can't tell people I broke your nose.

    ReplyDelete