10.24.2007

WFMW: Pandora's (Music) Box

I don't own a lot of cds and most of them are from my early teen years so they aren't exactly the type of music I like to listen to now. Not that NSYNC didn't have some catchy tunes, but I have matured just a bit with my musical taste. And I'm really into itunes or downloading stuff, I did back when Napster was at it's peak but now that it costs money, not so much. I have an mp3 player but stopped using it after I graduated and no longer had to walk around campus. But I like to listen to music, so what's a girl to do?

Enter Pandora Radio. It's an online radio station that is Way Cool! It's free, It's easy, It's portable, kinda. You create an account that allows you to log in from any computer (well, w/ internet access). Then you create stations based off of a song or artist and give it a name. Pandora will play similar songs and you give them a thumbs up or down depending on whether you like them (or like them for the station...I like Garth Brooks but if he someone came up in my Oldies station, I would say thumbs down). You can have a bunch of stations and even do a "Quick Mix" where it plays songs from whichever of your stations you want.

Here are my stations, names and what they play:

Country - Shockingly, it plays Country Music
Poodle Skirt - Older Oldies (Buddy Holly, Chubby Checker, Everly Brothers)
I wish I was in High School - Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson
Sentimental - Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald
Beatles - Newer Oldies (mostly the Beatles, sometimes Elton John)
Dentist - Michael Bubble, Josh Groban

It's great for work but I also like to listen at home when the real radio isn't cutting it. Our valley's radio selection stinks when it comes to music so that happens a lot. And I normally create a Christmas station sometime in November then delete it in January. That way I get to listen to a variety of Christmas music without having to pay for a bunch of songs or cds.

And that is what works for me. Check out more WFMW here.

2 comments :

  1. you can whack out your pandora radio station by rating the songs, tho, so be careful. all of a sudden your Korn radio station becomes "All Things Death Metal"

    consider yourself warned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tee hee! I love that one is called Dentist. That cracks me up!
    Good tip though! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete