7.21.2019

Classics Challenge - Mike

For my Classic Comedy selection, I picked Wodehouse's Mike. I was really trying to start the PSmyth series but I think I misunderstood because PSmyth isn't actually in this book. Or I think he's in the second volume/second part which my book lacked. I'm still a bit confused. But anyway, I read Mike, which is about a young British boy, who, and I bet you could have guessed his, is named Mike. Mike heads off to school and there is a lot, and I do mean, a LOT, of talk about cricket. I think this book would probably have been much more enjoyable and humorous, if I actually knew something about cricket. I don't. Other than that it's kinda sorta like baseball but not really. And they wear white. Which is not a lot. But I muddled through.

Now, the non-cricket parts were at times funny. I've never been a young teenage boy let alone one at a boarding school, but I do feel like Wodehouse must have been because he seems to understand their thought process. And as long as I'm not having to parent one of teen boys (yet) I could laugh at his foibles. But overall, I was disappointed. I think I just need to give up on Wodehouse which breaks my heart. He seems just like the type of author I would love but when I actually read his books, I'm underwhelmed. Alas and alack, I think he just isn't a good fit for me, humor wise.

No comments :

Post a Comment