11.09.2008

An apple a day...

keeps the craft bug away.
















I have rediscovered crochet and I love it! My mom, grandmother and great grandmother taught me the basics along time ago (I wasn't even in the double digits age-wise). A few years ago I tried to pick it up again but picked an afghan as my first project, got burnt out and gave up with nothing to show for it. But the last time I was at the library, I spotted a book on crochet and thought I would give it a try. It had great short projects so within a day or two, I had made something actually usable (and if I say so myself - adorable!) and I think I am hooked - get it, hooked? Oh I crack myself up.

I can't show that project, for Christmas secrecy reasons, but overall crochet has been great. I was looking for something to keep my occupied when Craig is studying and doesn't want any noise producing machines on. I love to quilt but it cost quite a bit of money and either takes over our kitchen table or requires me to lug my machine out every time I want to work. I think crochet will be a good fit. Another reason I was hesitant to start up crochet again was that I hadn't seen much modern work done with crochet and honestly, one doesn't need many scarves or afghans when living in Texas. But with a little searching, you can find lots of cute patterns on the internet, mostly for free. Yes, there are lots of ugly sweaters out there but there are cool things too - like amigurumi.

I stumbled upon them when trying to find a project to use up my leftover yarn. The apple is just the first in a cornucopia set I am making - one fruit down, three veggies and a basket to go. But I have a feeling once I get the basics down, I won't be able to stop myself from trying a more complicated one like this. Combined with the book, wouldn't that make the cutest gift? If only I knew some little kids.

7 comments :

  1. wow, that 'give a mouse a cookie' mouse is adorable! I like the apple too, but why is it the only fruit in the basket of veggies? Or are there multiple apples, and three other types of veggies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The veggies are eggplant, corn, and squash. I guess they just felt apples were the only autumn fruit. There was also supposed to be an orange but I didn't want to buy a whole skein of burnt orange because I didn't think I would be able to use it later. The other colors I will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't want to crochet some University of Texas items?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I could have made a little something for my brother, but I would have had to find some sort of medication to keep my hands from seizing at the horror of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha ha, that's funny poor lonely apple! Orange is hard to use...unless you made some carrots...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i know some little kids!

    and have you thought about maybe selling some stuff on etsy.com?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda - While searching for orange things, I stumbled upon a carrot rattle. But again, I don't have a baby and why would a baby want a carrot rattle? Babies aren't rabbits. I think it might have been posted for an easter project but still.

    Jess - I would love to eventually have an etsy shop, maybe when I'm not working outside the home anymore. But it would also involve really perfecting one art instead of jumping from sewing to quilting to crochet, etc. I don't know if I could handle that! I bore easily.

    ReplyDelete