3.29.2011

Another checked box

Okay, so my week of finishing projects turned into my week of getting a cold and not having the energy to document and post about them. But I did finally get a picture of my ledge photo wall.


I followed Ana's plans although I changed the design from the original a tad since I wanted thinner ledges and I only made mine four feet long. Craig assisted a little bit but I did most of it myself. The ledges have been painted and installed for a while now but I've been collecting frames from thrift stores and arranging them. I finally got enough last week so I handed them over to Craig for a quick spray painting (to be truthful, two frames didn't survive the painting process so the pictures are just laying in front of them, but I have two more frames that will get painted soon to replace them).

Then I sorted through photo files to pick out my favorites. That might have been the hardest part since I am not a very decisive person and I have tons of pictures of our family that I love but I finally did it. I originally planned to do all black and whites but Craig wanted some color so I did a mix of color, black and white and sepia.

Of course, there ended up being a lot of Lucy pictures


 but I also picked a few older pictures that I love. This one of Craig in the dog house is precious.


and this is one of my favorite of my mom and I. 


It's only a little project but for my first try at woodworking, I'm really proud of how it turned out and I've already purchased the wood for my next project. Of course, I hardly needed a new hobby to keep me busy but this one is so very practical I couldn't help myself.

6 comments :

  1. Cute! I need to display more pictures of John. I currently have none up. I like the way this turned out a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? How can you not have any pictures displayed? You are the queen of baby picture taking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, I am Queen of that department... but I get stuck on which ones to print :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this, MacKenzie! I might have to borrow (steal) it for our mantle. I just have one 8x10 picture of our new son (Lewis) up so far, and it looks so bare. I thought we could do some sort of gradual collage as he gets older, but this would be wonderful for right now! And I can always switch the photos out as he gets older (and spread the old ones around the rest of our photo-deprived house). Thanks for the inspiration. Another reason (besides clothes) to get to Goodwill, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I also started a blog (I RSS feed yours, if that's the proper term). I'm new and still trying to figure out blogger, so it's pretty basic so far. It is mamathomp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen - Go for it! It really isn't a hard project. I plan on updating ours as time but someone I know suggested keeping all your picture frames the same color so you can easily switch them around the house and not have to worry about matching - it also makes it cheaper since goodwill has tons of cheap frames that look fine once painted.

    Oh, and I'll be checking out your blog for updates on Lewis!

    ReplyDelete