4.16.2012

Catching up

This weekend went by too fast, especially considering the fact that it was, for us at least, a three day weekend. Friday was spent running around to garage sales and home depot then trying to get a few projects done before my dad arrived Friday night.

Saturday Lucy woke up super excited to see Grandpa. We all had pancakes then went to a local home and garden show, where I happened to run into a friend manning a chiropractic table. Not sure what chiropractic care has to do with homes or gardening but I'm glad it was there. They were offering free massages and I'm normally too introverted to do that sort of thing but since I was standing there talking to my friend anyway, she encouraged me to let  the chiropractor do her thing. It was a very nice experience for this pregnant mama whose hips have been killing her - and not at all dampened by the fact that Lucy was 15 feet away loudly repeating "All done." I've been wanting to get adjusted for a while and after those 10 minutes, I think I'll be getting off my bum to make it happen. We also went to a library book sale but it was picked over and I left disappointed with the one children's book we bought (Little Toot).

Last week Craig finished the few remaining cabinets and with my dad's help we installed a counter top. But island counters or not, I'm really enjoying cooking and baking in my almost finished kitchen this week now that my energy is starting to return. Earlier in the week I made a big batch of yogurt cheese and whey then used the whey to make a fermented raspberry drink recipe. It was pretty good but like most of Nourishing Traditions fermentation recipes, I found it a tad too salty. I'm not sure how much I can adjust it since I don't want us all dying of botulism but I might take the chance and try. Then I tried my hand at another Nourishing Traditions recipe - a completely-soaked whole grain, natural-sweetener-only carrot cake with a yogurt cheese frosting. It was actually really good unlike the few other soaked recipes I've dared to try. Lucy loved the cake but not the frosting which is funny since she loves yogurt, butter and honey which are the only three ingredients in that frosting.

We're also on a homemade "lara" bar/ball kick and this week I tried leaving my recipes behind and inventing my own version using dates, apricots, almonds and coconut. It had a good flavor but was pretty sticky and a pain to form into balls. Luckily once I formed and refrigerated them they weren't so sticky. "Balls" as Lucy calls them, are one of her favorite snack but since they are still sweet, I limit her to one at a time. Knowing this she has started asking for "1 yu-yu (Lucy) and 1 a-yo (Eeyore)." I tell her she can share but each time she asks again, maybe she thinks one of these days I'll fall for it.

My dad had to leave fairly early on Sunday so we weren't able to make it to church but just hung out and relaxed the whole day, playing with play-dough, watching our new pet frog swim around with his fish roommates, finding worms and caterpillers in the yard and feeding the caterpillers leaves, whether they want any or not :-) In fact, it was such a lazy day that Lucy didn't take off her pajama shirt until it was time for her to put on her new pajama shirt and get ready for bed. But it was a nice day for all of us and since she has a slight fever and stuffy nose today, I'm glad we took it easy.

No comments :

Post a Comment