12.15.2010

In which I pick on people...not really

I think I've mentioned a time or two (hundred) that we are a bit "denominationally challenged" around here. Craig grew up Methodist, I grew up military chapel/Episcopalian but was confirmed Lutheran. As a couple we've attended Methodist, Lutheran, Baptist and non-denominational churches and we just had our little girl baptized as an Episcopalian - see what I mean?

I think this gives me a unique perspective and ability to good-naturedly poke fun and I hope this is taken that way, especially since we are currently attending a Baptist church so it's not like we are anti-Baptists in any way, but there are some thing about the more "evangelical" type churches that I just don't get.

They don't really do the liturgical year. They don't do creeds and repetitive prayer. I know there are reasons for that, some of which I agree with and others I don't. Fair enough.

Yet sometimes it seems if they want don't want their cake but they still want to eat it. Okay, now that I've messed up that saying, I'll try to explain.

At least in the three evangelical churches we've attended over the last few years, there seems to be a lot of repetition. We sing the same songs and the prayers sound surprisingly similar after a while. I personally have no problem with it, I like singing songs I know (and that those around me know :-) but it seems funny when in a conversation with someone from one of said churches begins to talk about the evils of vain, repetitive prayer. Why is someone else's repetitive prayer necessarily vain when your isn't? Every day I pray and thank God for the same things: Craig, Lucy, my parents, my siblings...you get the picture. That isn't the only thing I thank Him for and thanking Him isn't the only thing my prayers are made of but that is consistently a part of my prayers. But just because I say it every day doesn't mean it isn't going to be true tomorrow as well!

Lately I've been seeing another similar occurance popping up - the "Jesse tree" (I use quotes because it's called a Jesse Tree, but isn't actually a Jesse Tree). Most of the people I know who are doing a Jesse tree for the Christmas season belong to churches that don't follow the liturgical year. It strikes me as odd that they have rejected the liturgical year and the traditions that accompany it but then replace it with something else that seems to serve the same purpose.

Now, I have nothing against the Jesse Tree. I think it's great that parents want to involve their children in an daily time when they focus on God and His story but if you are going to do a devotional and activity as a way to purposely prepare your heart for the coming birth of Jesus, why not use the same symbols and physical represention that has been used for so many years? I wonder if it is because these parents didn't grow up doing an Advent wreath themselves and are unsure of what to do. Or perhaps they think Jesse Trees are good for kids while Advent wreaths are boring? I'm honestly not sure.

I love the Advent season. The waiting and preparing. The candles and devotionals. Having grown up with it, I didn't realize how much I missed it until December rolled around and no Advent appeared in our Baptist church. We did many different devotional books along with our wreath throughout the years, sometimes they were put together by our church, a couple years we read a historical fiction book based on the scriptures, sometimes we followed a different book of devotionals. It changed as we got older, then back again when my little brother was born :-) We took turns reading and lighting and blowing out the candles (the candles was the coveted job) and my mom spent quite a bit of time telling us to stop messing around with the wax. I think every single one of her nice Christmas tablecloths probably has at least one red or purple wax stain on it. I have such fond memories of Advent devotionals with my family and I'm excited about building new memories with Lucy as we continue on with the tradition. We may be the only family in our church doing so, and the only one without a Jesse tree, but that's okay with me.

3 comments :

  1. I grew up, and continue to attend, a Bible teaching church. We don't follow repetitive prayers or worship songs. We are a "come as you are" church, in that we welcome anyone just the way they are...Jesus rarely saves out of religious acts, but usually when we are at our lowest and cry out to Him.

    We don't follow a liturgical year, because (as far as I understand it) not every word of the Bible is studied, nor is everything covered in depth. In attending a word-for-word through the Bible church, we don't miss a thing. We have to sit through the uncomfortable teaching about sin, the hopeful teaching about redemption, and the promise of a heaven tomorrow.

    We celebrate Christmas-not because it is the actual day of His birth, but because it is a heart issue, and the day/season set aside in which to do so. Our church has a Christmas Eve service-one of the few times we do a "topical study", and in depth teaches leading up to, and the birth of Christ. Many people who don't attend church normally (CEO's my pastor calls them-Christmas and Easter only's) come to church, hear the Word preached for hope of His birth, and death and resurrection.

    Anyway, I'm rambling. I think this is why, despite my husband being raised in a formal denomination; with hours and hours of church lined up on a Sunday with very little actually ending up being expounded on from the Word itself, but rather lots of people giving their thoughts on it, we have settled on a non-denominational, Holy Spirit filled and led church.

    The worship music is inspirational, compelling, and open to the Holy Spirit..no hymnals..how does the Holy Spirit work as easily if everything is constantly planned despite how God is trying to lead?

    The amazing thing I've taken from the word for word through the Bible teaching, as opposed to a liturgical and topical sermon type churches I've attended, is that no matter where you are in the Bible...somehow it always speaks to my heart and teaches me exactly on a topic I need to learn at that very moment. I'm pretty sure it does the same for every member sitting there!

    What a blessing you have in thinking this stuff out and doing what is right for your family. I love Christmas, and it's a great time of focus on Christ, as well as traditions for our own family..nothing could be more pleasing to God, IMO, than having your family focused on Him, and being together loving one another!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you say a "word for word through the bible church" do you mean, you start at Genesis, read some each week...until Relevation, then repeat? I've never heard of a church doing that but it sounds interesting. And when you say the music is open to the Holy Spirit, what does that look like? I'm not sure I can picture the logistics of that. My grandmother's church had a hymnal but nothing planned, people would just call out a hymn and we would start singing but it didn't work well in practice. This was mostly because her congregation was a bit older and hard of hearing so it would turn into a hymn shouting match with no one knowing what they were supposed to sing though, not necessarily a inherant problem with the idea.

    One of the reasons I've liked attending liturgical churches in the past is that they talk about passages, events and topics that aren't things I would naturally focus on and if done right, one gets a good understanding of the whole story of Christ over the year. They may not cover every single word of the Bible in that year but that is more of what I get from our small group and personal study time.

    The thing I don't like about many liturgical churches is that they don't teach the Bible is the true and complete Word of God and above all, no matter what else they may or may not do, is what matters. That is certainly not true of all though, the Lutheran church we attended was very much focus on the Word of God. I didn't agree with everything they taught and had some interesting and lively conversations with the minister (It was a small church and we were friends, I don't mean I accosted him after every sermon :-) but at least we were always discussion what the Bible said and how to interpret those passages and not whether that part of the Bible was true or applicable like I might have at some churches.

    We really are struggling with finding a church that works for us. Right now we love our Sunday School group but not the service and are both frustrated. That is one of our big puzzles to solve once the Holidays...or maybe I should say prayer requests that we hope God solves :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you say a "word for word through the bible church" do you mean, you start at Genesis, read some each week...until Relevation, then repeat?

    Well, I believe how it works is the pastor prays about which book to begin next, and then we begin an in-depth study. We don't necessarily go in order, particularly because the order of the Bible isn't even chronological. Our church has 3 different services-Sunday, a Monday night study and a Friday night study. So, 3 different books are being taught at a time. We did Genesis a couple of years ago, and it took nearly a whole year to complete! Our church has effectively gone through each word of the Bible fully, in all the studies.

    This is how the original churches seemed to be done. Opinions and takes on the matter meant little-it was just pure gospel, as that is the commandment..to preach the gospel. I'm not sure how we got so far away from that. Most Bible teaching churches, like Calvary Chapel (where we go) do a through the Word teaching. You can listen to our church services if you are ever interested: www.northcountrychapel.com

    After growing up in this style church, I feel like I was equipped to defend for my faith, like I was solidly rooted, and that I would know false doctrine. Then I started attending a church with adult Sunday school with peers sitting in circles telling stories and talking and spending 2 minutes on a verse of the Bible...seemed like self-edification to me..I really didn't like it, or see how that is a Biblical practice..though I understand we all prefer different styles of church.

    And when you say the music is open to the Holy Spirit, what does that look like?

    Well, we have a worship leader and praise team. That's basically a band that leads worship. The leader decides what praise and worship music we will do for the service, and then they play that music. It's usually related closely to the teaching we are in. We choose modern worship music by writers such as Chris Tomlin, Hillsong, etc. It's awesome music where you can really hear and feel the Holy Spirit opening people's hearts to hear the Word following the worship time. It's been a blessing to me to both be on the worship team, and simply be in the church as so many people are praising Him from the heart.

    Finding a church home is difficult..and honestly scary today...find yourself in a church that teaches the whole council of Christ, and doesn't skip, and doesn't just give commentary, but truly teaches it-since it never changes, and you are golden. It can even be uncomfortable at times! It's the double-edged sword! However, find yourself in a church that casually teaches along a schedule, and I see there is no flexibility, no passion, no fire and no true deep understanding of how urgent the need for salvation is today for God's beloved! I think it's also important because we are commanded to watch for our Lord's coming. We are living in a time that unless we are able to decipher biblically all that is going on around us, in our home our town our world, we may fail to see that His coming is soon, and that it is not a time to be living like the world!

    Anyway, I've said WAY too much, but I'm really passionate about the state of our churches today in this country. You ONLY find word for word through the Bible teaching in places where the gospel is forbidden, such as parts of Africa, India, etc. Interesting! The very place where it is forbidden, is where they are committed to it the most.

    In your looking for a home church, I would really encourage you to see if there is a Calvary Chapel near you..you may very well love it! It's a great place to raise kids, as well, as you know the ONLY thing they are getting is truth. http://calvarychapel.com

    God Bless and thanks for reading all that blather, LOL!

    ReplyDelete