2.09.2012

More Medicality

I'm so glad you guys seemed to enjoy the potty humor post. I was a teensy bit afraid that I would get a crickets response and feel like an immature 12-year-old for even posting it so every comment really made my day.

I'm still working on that other potty post and several others. We got back from spending two weeks at my dad's and even though we came home to a clean house and I thought I did all the laundry before we packed, somehow I'm already overwhelmed. I love coming home but I hate just having arrived home.

In other news, I took Lucy to our doctor to get her face checked out. As soon as we stepped in the door, she freaked out. She normally likes our doctor but she was shaking so hard it I felt like such an evil mom for even bring her there. But I trust our doctor so I really wanted to go over a few things.

When we took her to get the stitches removed on Friday, both the ER doctor and I were concerned about the upper mark. It was still really red and swollen. He thought it might be the beginning of an abscess that would need help draining. Luckily, after a weekend of hoping and praying, she woke up Monday morning covered in blood. That was really scary but once I got her cleaned up, that wound looked so much better and I consider it a small miracle that it drained on its own. But I still wanted to get some cream for scar prevention. I know at 20 months she doesn't really care what she looks like, but I'm thinking she might 10-15 years down the road. When I mentioned this to the first pediatrician, he looked at me like I was some sort of toddler and tiara mom and said "only time will tell." When I brought it up today, she said that she was about to suggest it herself. It could be because she has a background in the more "aesthetically" side of medicine so she is more aware of options, or it could be that she actually take a few minutes to think about what the patient is saying - I've heard it both ways.

Also Lucy has a weird rash. It started on her back the last day I gave her antibiotics and another patch justshowed up on her belly. I know they say rashes are rarely anything but this one just looked weird. Before she even took a look, the doc told me that unfortunately because of the antibiotic and the timing, she suspected...lifting Lucy's shirt...yep, ringworm! Nothing like a little fungi to liven up your day.

So know we are one another medicine to treat that. Luckily we caught it pretty early (it hadn't really formed any rings or I would have recognized it). And another small miracle, so far neither Craig nor I have seen any of us which considering how much of a snuggler Lucy is, and how little she likes to wear clothing, that is really saying a lot. We are trying to treat it topically but it that doesn't start clearing it up in the week, she's already given me a prescription for an oral medicine. I really really don't want to have to resort to that because one of it's main side effects, wait for it...diarrhea! Do you feel like we are going in circles here?

Wow, this post was not meant to be such a downer. I really didn't mean to write a whiny post. But I can promise you this - I'll be back again tomorrow with a post that I can guarantee to be non-whiny. You really won't want to miss it. Deal?

2 comments :

  1. Man, I'm so glad Lucy's healing well. What a nightmare y'all have been through!
    And ringworm, ugh! I know it's not that big of a deal, but I think it might be my gross-out-kid-problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when it rains it pours!! poor baby girl!

    ReplyDelete