7.21.2019

Classics Challenge - The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby. I can't believe I had never read it before.  Now I can say I have. It's not my favorite classic ever but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say I didn't find it as depressing as I expected. That said, I still think it very clearly fits for the Classic Tragic Novel selection.

It was a quick and easy read but I am glad I listened along to the Close Read Podcasts. It slowed me down a bit and I know I would have missed a lot if I read it on my own. I actually didn't know much of the plot going in which is surprising given how popular the book is. My intial ideas abotu the book where mostly on the mood and themes and those were pretty spot on and I tended to focus on the ideas of reality and illustions.

It was an interesting reading for our summer trip to Colorado because it really illustrated the contrast between the characters life and my own. Spending time with my family kept reminding me how much I, well, like them. Long car rides can be tedious with small children and there were moments when I wanted to pull my hair out but 90% of the time, I was just so grateful for them all. And while I don't get to see my extended family nearly enough, they are lovely people and I genuinely enjoy catching up with them and talking. The whole trip just made me remember what's important, what's real - relationship and people. I felt such a profound gratefulness for the realness of my life and the people in it.

I may not be enticed by the same illusions that Gatsby, Nick or Daisy fall prey to but I do have my own I must guard against. Like the illusion of productivity. It's very easy for me as a homeschooling mom to fall toward the checking off of boxes trap and miss out on the purpose and relationships I'm supposed to be cultivating. Not just me with my children but them with each other and them with the world that they are learning about. So it was a perfect read for a summer vacation and I hope I can keep that lesson in my mind as we start up our second summer mini-term this week.


No comments :

Post a Comment