10.22.2009

Advice Request

As you should be able to see from semi-recent posts, I've still been reading a lot. I've come into a bit of a problem though, I keep getting recommendations for books that our libraries don't have. It's a little sad actually because some of them are fairly well known books and between Craig and I, we have access to the local library system as well as the university system so you'd think one of them would have what I want but, no. I can do interlibrary loan but only for a few books at a time and that can take up to 2 months.

I won't buy them outright because most of them are fiction and I hate to spend money and storage space on books I will probably only read once. I've been thinking about joining paperback swap but I'm still torn. Have any of you tried it? What did you think? I'm a little worried I don't have enough books to give out yet; I do a good job of purging so while we have a ton of books, I don't want to get rid of any of them. And what if everyone thinks the books I do have are lame and nobody requests them? Hmm...what to do, what to do?

3 comments :

  1. can you request books from the library? Maybe they can get the books they don't carry in for you? I'm not sure if that is possible, but may be worth a try if you're uneasy about the book swap (which I know nothing about)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the book swap sounds neat! Try it... you never know what people will want to read. How do you always find neat things like this MacKenzie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom loves to hit up used book stores and she gets bunches of books for not much money. You could hit up one of those once, spend a little money, and then use those as your starting fund to swap. You might even find a bookstore that does in-store swapping, so you wouldn't have to bother with postage.

    ReplyDelete