4.13.2010

Random tidbits

36 hours seems so much longer when you don't have internet access. I feel like I go through several stages of withdrawl. It's intense at first, with my having to force myself not to go check if it's back even though I checked 10 minutes ago. Then I just give up hope and rely on my ability to call my mom when I need things like directions or an address. I realize at some point in time people just relied on maps drawn on paper but apparently I can't function for more than a day without maps.google.com. But just about the time when the withdrawl effects seem to be subsiding and I realize that the internet is not necessary to my survival, it comes back and the world rejoices! Okay, at least I rejoice, and I promise the internet that I will never doubt how necessary it is if it will only promise to never abandon me again.

So now that it is back, I thought I'd tell you about this weekend. Actually it was pretty boring for me. That should be my cue to stop writing but I just can't seem to make myself.

Craig flew to Minnesota to spend a weekend with his old college friends doing all sorts of manly things like raccoon hunting and bonfire watching. He hasn't been able to see them much in these last few years so I'm glad he could before it becomes a much bigger hassle. From now on, he isn't allowed to go away since I need him around to do things like tie my shoes and carry the laundry basket up and down the stairs.

I did do somethings this weekend though, like:

  • La Leche Meeting. I thought it started at 10:30 so I was pretty proud of myself for getting there at 10:20 since it was held at a different location than normal and I wasn't quite sure where - except that it started at 10. It's a good thing that about the same time as I walked it, a baby had an explosion that diverted attention away from me and onto poopy diaper horror stories.
  • Went to church where I was expecting a fluffy sermon about marriage. Instead it was a fire and brimstone type sermon about adultery, fornication, perversion and lust and how the church needs to both stand firm against those evils and do a better job offering grace and love to those who need it. It was an intense and unexpected but still really good message although I kinda wish that since I was attending church without Craig, I had worn my wedding ring. Not that anyone was rude at all, but I felt like they were all being a bit too nice. On the flip side though, I'm really glad our church was taking the message to heart and trying to be so welcoming to a single parent. It really bothers me when people who don't fit the stereotypical idea of a church family don't feel welcome there.
  • Finished up a few more sewing projects. I'm down to just a few but I need to get them done quickly, not just because the baby is coming soon, but sitting at a sewing machine is getting more and more uncomfortable.
  • After way more deliberating that was necessary, I finally decided what laundry detergent* I wanted to use on the diapers only to go to Whole Foods and discover it wasn't there even though supposedly they carry it. Of course, when I asked the looks-like-he-hasn't showered-in-3-weeks stock boy, he just said "Well, I guess it's not there since we can't see it." Thanks you stock boy, thank you for your willingness to help. So now I'm back to square one. I know it's not a big deal and the very worst things that could happen are 1) We have to strip our diapers (not that big of a deal) or 2) Baby gets a rash so we try something different (also not a big deal) so I just need to pick one and try it. Once I find what I like it will be a piece of cake to order it online for cheap but right now it has me stressed to a ridiculous level. I'm just being paranoid because I'm so sensitive to laundry detergent but I've got to get over it before I go insane. Although to be perfectly honest, I'm pretty sure that I as soon as I solve this problem, I'll just start worrying about something else so maybe I should just stick with worrying about this for now.
    (*Country Save, I wanted Charlie's but it will void the warranty on my Happy Heinies. Lame! And then I thought I'd just go with SunFree but I can't find it anywhere in this stupid town! Lame!)
  • Picked Craig up from the airport only to have our car break down on the way home. We are really getting our money's worth out our AAA membership this year. So instead of driving around town searching for laundry detergent like I had planned, I'm sitting here car-less, waiting to hear what the damage will be. We are at the annoying point with this car of trying to guess whether it is worth it to repair or just go for a new (to us) car so I'm hoping that the repair will something easy or that it will be something big enough that it is obvious we should just move on. If the repair is going to be over $600, I'd actually rather it be $1500 so we won't have a hard decision to make. I can only make so many tough decisions at once and I still have the laundry detergent issue to deal with.

3 comments :

  1. Crazy about Charlies. I've been experimenting with my wash cloths (and other clothes, I want to use the diaper approved soap for everything)... testing the absorbancy of wath cloths after stripping them and washing them.

    I've been using Arm & Hammer Essentials Free & Clear... it has baking soda in it... which isn't a problem unless your baby breaks out... then you rinse with vinegar to restore the ph... at least that is what my research has told me. However, I'm thinking about using Charlies. Not because A&H isn't working, but because Elaine uses it and loves it. And because I'm getting this build up in my washer... I think it's from washing our clothes with other detergents for so long.

    Something I still need to research though is Oxy Clean. I got some to get carpet stains out... and I'm addicted! It's like when I discovered Magic Erasers. I think it's safe on most diapers... I have econobums, flips & bumgenius... and a wool one I made. But I still need to look into it.

    Happy Laundering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that oxygen cleaners are fine but that Oxyclean isn't the best one for diapers since it has an additional additive or two. I got the SunOxygen one (wal-mart brand) because it is cheaper but Oxyclean Baby is supposed to be a good option too. (Green mountain diaper company, where I ordered my prefolds, has a lot of good info. They also have a protocol for cleaning your washing machine. I've never in my life cleaned a washing machine but it kinda makes sense that it would need it occasionally so that is on next weeks agenda).

    And I've heard if you use Charlies, you really need to add something to disinfect. An Oxygen cleaner or vinegar will work or if you dry your clothes in the sun that works too.

    I hope to have everything figured out soon since I really want to get my diapers prepped and washed. If not I'm going to the cotton babies diaper class next week so I can always get help then. Also, if you have any questions you want me to ask them, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I would really like to know what CottonBabies says about the oxygen cleaners. I'm using a Kroger's brand it has two ingredients... sodium precarbonate & soidum carbonate. I would be interested in what they recomend because I'm using their diapers.

    And I too need to prep my diapers... sigh... I guess there are advantages to a baby that is a little late.

    ReplyDelete