4.20.2010

Wild Weekend

Last weekend was super packed. It wore me out so much that I basically just slept all day Monday but we had a good time.

Friday night our local library system hosted an evening with Mark Twain where a professor from North Dakota (whoop!) impersonated Mr. Twain and gave a talk about humor, inserting facts about "his" life. I'll admit I really only went to this because Craig wanted to but it ended up being a lot more interesting than I was expecting. I'm pretty sure I've read both The Adventures Huckleberry Finn and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer but now I think I might try some of his less popular works, maybe The Mysterious Stranger? Has anyone read any of his other books and can tell me if they are worth reading?

Saturday we got up early to do some shopping. The neighborhood across from ours was having an area-wide garage sale. The pickings were kinda slim but we did get a couple Usborne Baby Board books and a copy of So Many Bunnies all for just $0.75 so I think it was still worth it.

After that, we headed to Cape Girardeau. For those of you who are not big Rush Limbaugh fans, you may not realize the importance of that location but it is in fact, Rush's hometown. It's close enough to us for a day trip but probably not one we would want to do with a baby so Craig wanted to make sure it got done this month. I was okay with this because I knew of a honey supplier down there and made him take a slight detour where I picked up 1/2 gallon of raw honey for just $17 which I must say is a pretty sweet deal!

Then on the way into town, we just happened to notice a scooter store. Once inside, we found out that they were having their grand opening that day. Craig was able to learn a bit more about scooters and even test drive one while I examined the helmet options.

We took the driving tour around to see the sites such as the house where Rush grew up, the barber shop where he shined shoes and the radio station where he began his career as a disc jockey. We also walked the Missouri Wall of Fame and learned about all sorts of famous Missourians.

After that we visited the nature center and took a short hike.
I about died the last 1/4 of a mile but after some frozen custard I recovered. We then toured a little museum in town. It turned out to be a really little museum and I would have been disappointed except they were having an Ansel Adams exhibit and I love Ansel Adams.

The scooter store was having a giveaway in the afternoon but you had to be there to win so we killed another hour by driving to some scenic spots around town
before going back to the store. Statistically we had a pretty good chance of winning since there were only about 10 people there but we didn't. I'm wasn't sure if I was sad about that or not. We drove home listening to the Prairie Home Companion. I feel like I should say something witty about the irony of listening to NPR while driving home from a Rush tour but I'm too tired to think of anything.

4 comments :

  1. "sweet deal"... haha.

    Enjoyed the new belly pics. We are all getting big. I can't wait to see my old body again... which I decided I'm never complaining about ever again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check it: I actually took an entire college course on Mark Twain. Unfortunately, after giving it some thought, I couldn't think of any one novel of his that I really loved (or hated, which is something) besides Huckleberry Finn. If it's been a while since you've read it, you might want to re-read it; it's so good. You also couldn't go wrong just finding a collection of Twain short stories (which might even have the best excerpts from some of his longer works, like Innocents Abroad or Pudd'nhead Wilson). That might be your best bet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) the mark twin part made me think of Gilmore Girls Faux Poes foes? I watch that show too much... The Ancel Adams exhibit sounds great, I love his work too!

    ReplyDelete