11.11.2010

Progress

We haven't been posting these last two days - because we've been so busy working, and I have the battle scars to prove it.

When I got back from the trip, Craig had already finished most of the painting so all we had left was the living rooms and hall walls and those went pretty quick. We have now finished painting!

Craig had off today so we decided it was time to tackle the carpet. Wednesday afternoon, while I hung out in the car with a napping* Lucy, Craig pulled it and the carpet pad up. But of course, that wasn't the hard part. We spent that evening and most of today pulling up the tack strips and the bazillion staples that held the pad in place. I think we are about 80% done which is good since I've already gouged myself with a staple, scrapped my arm with a tack strip and given myself a big blood blister with the needle nose pliers. The staple was the worst, I saw the
two or three drops of
gushing blood and started to feel woozy. Now I've started wearing gloves so my hands are safe but after spending the day on the floor with all the dust from the carpet, my sinuses are killing me. Clumsy and congested - I'm so pathetic.

I also got started replacing the light switches from old almond switches with "fancy" 1960s plates to new white rocker styles ones. I have a fair amount experience with electrical work from my job back in Utah but not in a home setting so I've been studying lately. I was pretty confident in my ability to do some small projects although I think the thing I know most is when to let a professional do the job. Replacing some outlets and the switches now and changing out light fixtures later is doable but we had an electrician come out to give an estimate for a couple bigger things like installing a ceiling fan (the living room had no overhead lighting), bathroom exhaust, and grounding a couple outlets.

The funny thing is that it didn't take me long to pick out which ceiling fan I want but picking out the bathroom exhaust fan has been a big headache. There are so many choices, too many choices. Do I want just a fan or do I want a light and heater too? How quiet do I want it? I don't want it to sound like I'm sitting next to an rocket taking off but since the living room is pretty close by, I think there could be some benefit to a little noise if you know what I mean. We checked out a bunch of options at Lowe's today but still haven't come to a final decision and I've probably put 3-4 hrs into researching already. It's ridiculous because as soon as it is installed, I don't think I'll ever think about it again. Now I know why people who have built a house say they will never do that again - decisions are so tiring.

So that is what we have been up to lately. More to come soon!

*the 10 minute drive from apartment to new house is the worst, she always falls asleep just as we get there and if I wake her up, she thinks she has had a nap so she doesn't need on but is still tired and cranky!

1 comment :

  1. If it's any comfort, if I were doing work like that, I probably would have hurt myself seven or eight times.

    Do you really need a heater in the bathroom? I've never used one, because once you get in the shower, you get warm quickly. Also, at other people's houses, guests sometimes accidentally turn on the heater when they mean to turn on the vent, and that's no good--especially if it's the height of summer and the house has no air conditioning. (Not that this happened to me and Neal twice during our trip to Texas this summer, or anything.)

    In our apartment, our landlady "fixed" our fan when it got broken by installing a motor that sounds like it should be powering a lawnmower. I'm not going to claim I've gotten used to it, but I have to admit it gives a person a lot of privacy.

    ReplyDelete