11.21.2010

Gearing up

The last three or four weeks I've been feeling someone watching me. Specifically, watching me while I'm eating. It can be kinda funny, you move your spoon back and forth and it looks like her eyes move too. So then you go up and down, in circles, back and forth and her poor littles eyes start going crazy. Yep, Lucy's watching.

Apparently, even though you all know where I stand on solids too early, she didn't get the message. And while I still didn't think she was really ready, I began to feel a little guilty eating in front of her. So I did what all women do when the feel guilty - go shopping!

Last weekend, Craig and I hit the road and went baby supply shopping. We got a neat hook on high chair (we look at the phil and ted's metoo but liked this one better).

http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-2789178reg.jpg

Our wooden one is already at the new house since I thought we would be moved in by now - ha! This one is working fine for us now and will be great for when we are visiting our families over the holidays and at restaurants.

We also picked up a couple bummis bibs since they seem to be the favorite in my mommy circle, a table mat and a micro-steamer bowl to round out our purchase. We plan on doing baby led weaning so this whole eating thing is gonna get messy fast. But that should be pretty much all we need to buy.

For the last week, Lucy has been joining us at the table for our meals. But that doesn't mean she is getting any food. Nope, we sit her in her seat, buckle her up and give her an empty bowl and spoon!

See, I heard this theory that since babies are little humans and humans are social creatures, babies are surprisingly social. They want to be doing what everyone else is doing, go figure. (Why do I think this isn't going to be the last time she will be socially ready for something before she is developmentally ready? I don't think I will find it so amusing if she wants to start dating at 13 though.)

So I thought we would test it out. And it has been working. Instead of fussing in her swing and staring us down, she sits happily in her chair, waving her spoon back and forth and banging her bowl around - just like us. Okay, not quite like us, but close enough that she doesn't seem to notice the difference!

She's turning 6 months really really soon so actually food will be making an appearance any day now, but until then, don't tell Lucy she's missing out!

2 comments :

  1. Great idea! It really does have more to do with wanting to be in on the action. After all, she doesn't have a clue what food tastes like or what she's missing. Zuzu at 18 months wants to be eating constantly if we are at a table. I'm trying to figure out ways to convince her that other important things - like conversation - happen at the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops sorry, I'll be sure not to tell her again! ;) good luck at Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete