10.13.2010

Nice Title: Patience is a virtue. Grumpy Title: No, she's hasn't!

Questions, questions, questions. I've been getting a lot of them lately, the most common being "Has Lucy started solids?"

It's a little bit shocking how much misinformation about solids there is, especially when the medical community seems to be pretty much in agreement. The World Health Organization, UNICEF, American Academy of Pediatrics, American Academy of Family Physicians, and American Dietetic Association all say that a baby should be on breastmilk exclusively for the first 6 months and complementarily thereafter. Even if your baby is on formula, solids should still wait until 6 months.

Now I don't really have a problem with most of the people who are asking since they are typically just genuinely curious. I love talking about my baby so when people are thoughtful and ask questions about her, I enjoyed the opportunity to answer even if I have to say "No, we are waiting until she is older."

I do get just a tad annoyed when the questions have a not-so-subtle follow up. Things like "Wow, she is so big, she's not eating yet?" or "Not even any rice cereal yet?". First off - Yes, she is big. And exactly what do you think she was eating that allowed her to grow so big? And why would I replace my milk with rice cereal, the nutritional equivalent of Wonder bread? Of course, I don't really say that, that would be rude. I also don't answer their other questions this way either:

- No, giving her solids won't help her sleep better. Thickness is not an indicator of digestibility. What keeps you full longer, carbs (cereal) or protein (milk)? Why would she be any different?

- No, she won't like more foods just because I start them earlier. What that will do is wreak havoc on her immature digestive system and make her more susceptible to stomach problems, food allergies, eczema, future obesity issues and other illnesses. None of those will help her eating habits as an adult now will they?

- No, she won't become anemic if she doesn't eat solids. In fact, introducing solids, especially iron-enriched cereals, actually leave her vulnerable to iron-deficiency because they interfere with her ability to absorb iron from breastmilk.

- No, she isn't ready just because she grabbed for my sandwich and tried to put it in her mouth. She also does the same thing when I'm holding her burpie, a hairbrush and a piece of lint I picked off the floor and I didn't let her eat those things either.

She will be ready for solids when she is at least 6 months old AND showing she is developmentally ready by:
  • Sitting up unsupported (this is why I love my highchair, I can't use it until Lucy can sit by herself!)
  • Having a pincer grasp (can use her finger and thumb to pick up little pieces of food)
  • Has lost the tongue thrust reflex (no longer automatically spits out anything we put in her mouth)
Now I'm not one to blindly follow doctors but it just makes sense not to feed Lucy until she shows me she is ready to eat. And even then, food is pretty much for fun during the first year. And it will be fun. I can't wait until she is ready to explore flavors, textures and smells - except I can.

More info:

2 comments :

  1. My great-grandmother always said "No one knows a child like its mother." Curious questions are acceptable, unsolicited advice/statements are just plan rude. I respect people more when they accept that my way of doing things might not be the same as theirs.

    If only all people could understand this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ::slow clap::

    Yes! You are so right on so many levels. I can't wait to read all of your baby food recipes--when she's ready.

    ReplyDelete