4.06.2011

Adventures in Early Potty Training - It begins

We started about two weeks ago, when she was about 9.5 months old. Diaper Free Before Three says to start the intro between 6-9 months, or whenever they can sit independently well but I didn't start researching until 9 months.

The intro phase is pretty easy. We introduce the potty and start changing our routine to reflect the new addition to our lives. So we went out and bought a teeny tiny potty. Then we started sitting her on it before her bath (if she had one) or pajamas (if she didn't). I'm not going to post any pictures of her one it (she will thank me later for that) but suffice it to say that she looks pretty adorable sitting there.

The first time, she didn't like it. She wasn't upset about being there, just kept standing up and looking at us like "what is this and why is it underneath me?" I let her get up as soon as she wanted. Same thing the next night. The third night I grabbed a toy and as soon as she sat down I started distracting her. (Actually, I grabbed a bath toy whale and started mimicking Dory's whale talk as I described the wonderfulness of the potty) It worked. She sat there entertained for several minutes. Then I helped her stand up and get her diaper on and went through a "this is how we wash our hands" time with her.

Now she likes it. She can sit as short of a time as she wants. Sometimes she wants to get up after 30 seconds and that is fine. Other times she will happily sit for 3-4 minutes and I have to declare potty time over. She doesn't need a toy anymore but I sit with her and talk to her. I think she likes the face time with me. In fact, she used to fuss and fight me during diaper changes but she doesn't after she sits. The little break between having to be still while I take off her diaper and having to be still again while I put it on is just what she needs apparently.

After a few days of happy evening potty sitting, I added a morning time before she gets dressed. Now I also try after her naps because I know that is a prime time for her. The point of the intro phase isn't to get her to actually go in the potty, its just to incorporate the potty into her routine. It's pretty similar to baby led weaning in that regard. I started with one meal and let her eat or not eat as she desired and slowly worked up to her eating and enjoying 3 meals and a snack daily. Its just what we do. We eat breakfast after we wake up and have a snack at 3:30. We potty before we get dressed in the morning and after we have a nap. I praise her for sitting, whether or not she "goes" - not a song and dance or stickers, just a simply "you sat on the potty, good job!" The first week, she just sat there but she has actually gone at least once a day for the last six days.  When she does, I add another praise of "You're peeing in the potty!"

The other changes in our routine are pretty simple as well. We moved all diapering into the bathroom. Its supposed to help her mentally make the connection but its actually easier that way anyway since the sprayer is there. Montessori also recommends starting to change their (wet not poopy) diapers while they are standing up but I can only do that when she wears a pocket so basically only before bed.

And that is all there is to Phase 1. No mess, no stress. We will keep going with this, adding in "sits" one at a time, for a little while and see how it goes. Until next time, wish us lots of potty luck!

No comments :

Post a Comment