3.02.2009

I want to make something monday

These are the lamps I mentioned in my last post. They're little Eiffel towers - aren't they adorable?

It was perfect timing. You may remember I have been in the mood to redecorate the bedroom and they are much cuter than
this one that had been our only side table lamp until now.

Yesterday was actually my "winter clean" the bedroom day and it helped knowing that once I got everything cleaned, I could set up my new lamps.

I do want to replace the shades though because the black doesn't really go with the brown of the bedroom. (The metal isn't quite black, it is a redish-brownish-black metal so it will work)

I don't want to go with white though - too boring. If I could find a similar shade in my blue, I would get it but I think it will be hard to find the right shade for the right price. My other option would be to cover the shades I have. I have seen tutorials for that and it doesn't seem too hard. Plus the last time I was at hobby lobby I saw a whole collection of blue and brown fabric that I knew would look great in our room but I couldn't think of what to make with it until now, so that seems like an easy fix but...

1) The shade is black. If I cover the black with fabric, will it be too dark/block too much light? All the tutorials I have seen start with a white lampshade.

2) It is a weird angles square shape which seems trickier than a circular shade. I'm not sure I could do it with only one fabric seems which would mean I would have to cover up the seams with ribbon and that isn't the look I was going for.

Has anyone ever done this? Any insights? What should I do?

5 comments :

  1. Are there any tutuorials that strip the existing fabric off of the the shade frame? I don't know if that's a possability or not. I found a link http://kirinote.blogspot.com/2007/09/how-to-cover-lampshade-frame.html
    that has a pretty good explanation, I don't think it'd be as easy as if you had a white shade, but I'm sure you'd be able to do this! :) Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about my French-themed lampshade idea? You know, wine, baguettes, grumpy waiters, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda - that might work. Craig tried out the black and it is already too dark but I could try to get the paper off - if it doesn't work, I haven't lost anything but some time. Thanks for the info,

    Craig - Yes, that is one option. And nothing says romance like a baguette.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also spray paint would be an easy fix, but you'd have to have a light hand, which you might not able to do to cover the black.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW that is much cuter than your old one!

    ReplyDelete