11.11.2017

Mother's Daybook - November 11th

Drinking - Disappointment. Really. I don't get Starbucks or fancy drinks. like. ever. I think my dad bought me a drink when he was here last Christmas. But it's b1g1 week and I just happened to find a gift card in my van from when I needed two for teacher gifts on the way to an event and all they had was a three pack. So Craig picked up drinks after he ran errands but what was supposed to be Praline Chai Latte was just a Praline Latte....that is not the same! One is tasty tea goodness and the other tastes like coffee! Blech. Coffee! I know most of y'all probably like the taste of coffee but pretend you don't and imagine my sorrow. I think we'll try again tomorrow.

Watching - Things on our new tv. I'll be honest, losing my "we don't own a tv" hippie superiority card stings but it is really nice to watch something on netflix with all three kids on a screen bigger than our laptops. I also put Pandora on a couple times for them when they are just playing down there but I'd go to check on them and they'd be watching the screen. All it shows is the cover of the cd! How is that interesting? I'm thinking that interest will fade in time.

We (as in Craig and I, not the kids and I) finished Stranger Things 2 last night even though we still don't have much furniture down there. Is this a man/women thing? I would have preferred small screen + couch but he wanted bigger screen + uncomfortable chair/pouf thing. I also just got Lark Rise to Candleford and now that Stranger Things is done maybe I can find more time to watch it. It just wasn't even Craig's choice - and that definitely is a male/female thing :-)

Being Thankful - for no fleas. We had a weird flea infestation the last two weeks. Weird because we don't own any indoor/outdoor pets. And neither the chickens nor the guinea pigs even showed signs of flea bites. So heck if I know how we got fleas but one look at poor Norah and Jonah and we clearly had some problem. Craig and I had a few bites each too.I couldn't figure out what it was then after racking my brain and feeling like I was going insane, I saw one. And I knew. We only saw a few fleas themselves even after all the cleaning so I started out thinking I'd go back to my undercover hippie roots and try and solve this problem the natural way. I threw all sorts of stuff at them - diatamaceous earth, borax, dawn, essential oils. I felt like I was in Hawkins as I sprinkled salt all over my hard floors, de all over my carpets and put bowls of soapy water under my lights. They laughed at me and kept biting. So I called the bug guy. Well, whose laughing now because those things are gone! The bug guy comes back again for one more spray but I think the problem is solved. I'm still recovering from all the work though. Even with the spraying, I still had a ton of vacuuming ad I washed every single throw pillow and blanket in addition to all our bedding. We have eight beds in this house which at this point in time seems excessive. I mean each bed comes with sheets and a duvet and duvet cover, a blanket or two, a couple pillows. I was putting things straight from dryer to garbage bag to keep it safe unless it was absolutely necessary. It's been a long couple weeks is over but I think the worst is over and I can breathe again.

Looking forward - to a week with no appointments. It's also been appointment season over here. Or maybe I just need to realize that between my chronic health issues that need monitoring and three kids that need all the basic dentist/doctor stuff and being a fostering family that will have social worker visits, we'll just always been in appointment season. But one more crazy week and then we take a break. Yay! I know I'm a homebody but a few really busy weeks proves how much of one I am. Just let me be world! Now this post is ending up more vent driven than I intended so we'll end on a happy note...

Wearing - These slippers. I've never really been a slipper person. I liked the idea of them, especially since we don't wear shoes inside and I'm cold natured, but I've never been able to find ones I really liked and get in the habit of wearing them. But I was thinking of trying again and someone recommended this specific style/brand so when I saw Target had all shoes/slippers 20% off, I grabbed them. And I love them. So much. I tried on a few other styles that were okay but they didn't have the cozy all the way inside, just the trim. I think the combination of the full fluffy comfortable inside and the bootie style that won't come off just does the trick. They're actually inside/outside soles but very flexible (and I'm kind of intensively crazy about shoes and I wear minimalist shoes) so I've even worn them in the backyard because I think its a healthy shoe. But also very hygge. And I'm all about the hygge right now. I don't even care if I'm just following the masses. There I said it. I own a tv. I watch Stranger Things. I use chemicals on my house to kill bugs and I like trends like fall and hygge obsession. Man, I better have another home birth soon before people think I've gone all mainstream!

No comments :

Post a Comment