5.16.2020

Classics Challenge - Death on the Nile

I love a good mystery. And Agatha Christie does write good mysteries. I always feel the answer is within my grasp and I'm starting to figure it out but I can't get quite there. Which is really what I want my mysteries to do - find that perfect balance between too hard to solve and too easy. This one did exactly that. And she often has some deeper ideas in there to ponder which I enjoy from a mystery as well. Makes me feel better about using them as light/escape reading. In this specific novel, I also enjoyed several of her side characters quite a bit and found the set-up and setting intruguing. It was a great quick and fun mystery for quarenting times.

I only wish I liked her mystery solvers a little better. Poiret is not my favorite. I like Tommy and Tuppence a bit more but Poirot is much easier for me to get from the library so I keep returning to him. But I'm also re-reading Peter Wimsey and I just enjoy him so much more. I do find the mystery part of Dorothy Sayers a bit more convuleted than a Christie novel but liking the detective goes a long way to overcoming that obstacle.

Of course, there is room in my life for many mystery writers so it need not be a competition.

Death in the Nile is my Back to the Classics Place in the Title selection.

No comments :

Post a Comment