5.26.2021

Classics Challenge: Silas Marner

I had read Silas Marner before but it has been some years. It was interesting to re-read it because while I remembered the basic plot, so many of the details were fresh and surprising. I kept being surprised by what I  This was another book I read along with the Literary Life Podcast and I particularly enjoyed viewing it through the lens of fairy tale tropes and ideas. 

I think it would make a good book to pick up if you're struggling right now to get back into a reading routine or to read classics because its just a nice, easy to read but still really good book. It's full of really great characters, a bit of a mystery but nothing too crazy and less of the crazy, "why is that character being stupid?" moments that made me want to pull my hair out when I read Eliot's Middlemarch (plus - its a heck of a lot shorter).I'd read a section and then put the book down but keep thinking about everything from faith, community, and parenting to fate and decisions the rest of the day. 

Silas Marner was my Back to the Classics Challenge 19th Century selection

No comments :

Post a Comment