10.09.2022

Classics Challenge - Ruth

North and South is one of my very favorite books. I've read it probably 7+ time.  Wives and Daughters is delightful (and heartbreaking that it never got a full ending but I digress). And vignette style books aren't my favorite but Cranford was still worth a read (and probably a re-read). But somehow the other Ruth Gaskell books have stayed on my to-read list. I think its because I had heard they were all sad. Which is kinda silly because someone could easily make the case that North and South is sad but I don't feel that way at all. It's such a comfort read for me despite the death count. 

Ruth is similar in that if you describe the plot  - young girl becomes fallen woman, struggles, etc...yeah, it sounds pretty depressing. But it really isn't. 

As a character, Ruth does seem a bit too good to be true in the later part of her life but I understand why. And the rest of the Gaskell's characters are great. It's just so well written. Ruth won't ever be North and South and if you are new to Gaskell I definitely recommend starting there but Ruth has encouraged me to keep going and finish up all the Gaskells I can get my hands on. 

Ruth is my Classic by a Woman Author for the Back to the Classics Challenge

No comments :

Post a Comment