10.09.2022

Classics Challenge - The Way of a Pilgrim

This is a very unique little book. It's written by an annonymous peasant turned hermit/pilgrim who travels around Russia in the 19th century, growing in his faith and prayer life and meeting some interesting people along the way. 

A good friend is Orthodox and in my striving to understand her world a bit more, I learned about the Jesus Prayer which I have come to adore. This story talks quite a bit about that prayer as well as the idea of praying without ceasing. I am still not sure if the author is telling his story but just remaining anonymous or if someone has written this story like a sort of Orthodox Pilgrim's Progrress (without all the allergory) as a lesson. I think the former but I would not be shocked to find out its the later either. It's can be a bit confusing but overall a very interesting read that makes one think a lot about what a life of prayer and  devotion to Christ can and should look. 

I found my copy online and can't seem to find the link anymore so I don't know what specific translation I read but since I don't speak Russian, I can be confident that I did read A translation :-) 

The Way of the Pilgrim is my Classic in Translation selection for the Back to the Classics challenge.  

No comments :

Post a Comment