11.18.2022

Classics Challenge - To Sir, With Love

To Sir, With Love is a book about a teacher in England but this is not Goodbye, Mr. Chips. Braitwaite is not teaching in a classic boarding school but in East London where things are a bit rougher. One of my local friends is from East London and I've enjoyed hearing about her experiences growing up and raising children there so I found this especially interesting. And of course, books that ponder what education is are always interesting. There are a few things that are a bit dated (like his descriptions of some of his female students) and I'm curious as to how much of this autobiographal novel is autobiography and how much is novel because he does wrap things up nicely in just a year - but overall I found it enjoyable and thought provoking.  

To Sir, With Love is my Classic by a BIPOC author selection in the Back to the Classics Challenge

 

No comments :

Post a Comment