11.18.2022

Classics Challenge - Lilith

Lilith is one of those books that shows me how much I've grown as a reader in the past few years. It's been on my to read list for a while but I'm glad I didn't get to it until now because I really don't think I would have made it through it even 5 years ago and would have dismissed it as weird. 

And yes, it is a odd, no doubt about that. Lilith is an otherworld fantasy novel about a man who magically stumbles into this old world of Adam/Eve/Lilith (the supposed first, and ultimately unfitting wife of Adam). Their are parallel stories where man slowly wakes up and learns who he is while Lilith learns about redemption. Just much much weirder with more imagery and symbolism than what I just said. And I  didn't quite know what was going on for a fair portion of it. But having really pushed myself (and gotten some good guidance from the Literary Life podcast and sitting in with Lucy's Good Books class), I am able to read it as a fairy tale and to see past some of the superficial weirdness a bit more to the symbols and that's pretty encouraging.  I still probably only got a fraction of what was in this book but I'm okay with that. Even that fraction gave me plenty to think about on the topics of repentance and forgiveness. 


No comments :

Post a Comment