6.20.2007

My New Job: The Perks and the Dilemmas

Now that the school year is over, some of you may be wondering what I have been doing with my time. Well, I will tell you. I have a new job as a staff assistant at the university. I like it. It's kinda slow during the summer but that is nice since it gives me a chance to get used to things before 30 million students come in and ask questions that I don't know the answers too all at one time (okay, maybe that's a slight exaggeration, maybe there will only be 30 students at one time but still). Besides the general benefits of working (such as a paycheck and health insurance, etc) here are a few things I like best about my new job.
  • I work in Building #1 on campus. Yep, if you look at any of the campus maps, find #1 and you have found me too. It is also called Old Main and it is by far the coolest building on campus. It has a tower with a big A on each side. A is for Aggies and while technically it stands for the Utah State Aggies, I pretend I am wearing rose colored glasses so the navy blue turns into maroon which obviously stands for Texas Aggies.
  • I have an easy to remember phone number. I am awful at remembering phone numbers and now I have two easy numbers to remember. My cell phone ends in a year, which I seem to be able to remember quite easily (why that didn't seem true in history is beyond me). And this number ends in 1230 - how easy is that!
  • I get/have to take a hour long lunch break. Well, I have to work from 8-5 so I can either take an hour long lunch or just work extra for fun. At first I though that an hour long lunch would be annoying since I am without a car and stuck on campus. But it has turned to be nice. Sometimes I go out to the grassy knoll right outside the building and read a book. I really like to read and I never have the time. That was one of the few things I didn't like about school, I was always to busy reading physiology textbooks that I couldn't ever read fun things. Other times I go down to the lounge in the basement and take a nice 45-minute nap. This isn't weird because there are typically 2-3 students down there doing the same thing.
  • This last one is kinda a positive, kinda not. As a sub, I had to dress nicely but I saw different people every day so I only needed a couple outfits. Now that I am always around the same people, I need to mix it up a bit more. I don't want to get to the point where people will know what I will be wearing based on what day of the week it is. So the positive is - I get to to go shopping for new clothes, the negative - I have to go shopping for new clothes in Logan. I don't understand why there are no cute clothes in this town because there are a lot of young people who work here in addition to all the students. It is so ridiculous that I am going to have to go to Salt Lake City to find something to wear. Luckily, Craig has some stuff he wants to do down there (non-shopping stuff, of course) so I won't have to decide between driving alone or shopping with Craig (both are low on my fun-things-to-do list.
My mom was nice enough to help me out with the lack of clothes situation by picking up some cute tops in Kentucky (Ft. Knox Kentucky has more cute clothes that Logan - how sad, but true). The day I got the box of tops, we were going to our church's game night so I decided to wear this one shirt. Now when I first looked at the shirt, it looked kinda odd, sorta like a maternity shirt. But my mom told me before the box even came, not to judge them before I tried them on so I took her advice and it was cute. Craig liked it too so I decided to wear it. I even got a compliment on it that night. But when I got home and was about to throw it into the hamper, I stopped to check the tag and make sure it wasn't a hand wash item. Imagine my feelings when I saw the tag ...

...with this cute little picture of a pacifier on it. Now I have a dilemma, I like the shirt and I don't look like I'm pregnant when I'm wearing it (or at least I don't think I do, but maybe I'm biased). Even so, I don't think I will be comfortable wearing it knowing that it is a maternity shirt. So I ask you, should I suck it up and wear it, ignoring the fact that there is supposed to be more of me inside it, or should I save it for a few years down the road when I may need it? What's a girl to do???

4 comments :

  1. OK, here's my plan. Step 1: take a picture of yourself wearing the shirt, so we can tell you if you truly do not look pregnant. Step 2: if it is confirmed that you do not look pregnant, cut the tag out of the shirt. Step 3: wear the shirt (and, apparently, continue wearing the shirt when you are someday pregnant).

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, the empire waist look is in, so I think a lot of the cute shirts this season look like they could double as maternity shirts. I don't mean this offensively, I like the shirts! Since you don't have a tummy at all, you won't look pregnant at all, so im sure it looks great and you should wear what you like. no one can see the tag :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that is what I was thinking when I first saw it. Wow, these new high waisted styles kinda look like maternity shirts, but they are cute. I might get up the nerve to take a picture of me wearing the shirt as soon as we get new batteries for the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took some picture of me wearing the shirt but I looked awful. Not because of the shirt, just because any time you take a picture inside of our apartment, it turns out having a yellowy-greenish tint to it. I will try again, don't worry.

    ReplyDelete