5.25.2009

Meal Plan Monday: Grocery Challenge Week 4

The grocery challenge is almost over. We've been doing much better than anticipated although I am losing steam. I think that's more from having to shop right after we got back from a trip than from the challenge though. I still don't feel that we have deprived ourselves that much, maybe we didn't have all the condiment choices we normally do, or I had to use less cheese or substitute one herb for another, but we certainly aren't starving.

Last weekend, I did end up spending some, $3.00 on bread and bananas at Wal-mart to get us through till our vacation, and $1.67 on ritz crackers and snack packs for traveling and granola bars for Craig lunch this week while they were on sale at Target.

We also got lucky with food gifts as a lot of Craig's friends from school gave us their extra milk, potatoes, sugar, flour, and tortillas chips when they moved out. I was also given an unopened 3lb bag of farina but don't really have any idea what it is or how to use it. (Note: I "swagbucked" it and am only slightly less confused, it might be the same as Cream of Wheat, or Cream of Wheat contains farina, or something like that) If I was more brave, I would have tried to incorporate it into the menu this week, but I still have vacation brain.

Breakfast/Lunch: Same as last week.

Dinners:
Sunday - Eating out. Our tradition is to have a picnic of fried chicken on the 4th of July but Craig will be gone so we moved it to yesterday.

Monday - Pot roast, mashed potatoes, green beans

Tuesday - Leftover pot roast on rye bread, smoothies

Wednesday - Salmon cakes (I only have one fillet left so I'm trying to stretch it to make a two person meal. I'll poach it then use it in place of the canned salmon in the recipe), green beans, rye bread

Thursday - Black Bean nachos (Black beans, my remaining cheese (not too much and mozzarella but it will have to do) sour cream, salsa, and corn, served on tortillas chips

Friday - Lasagna (from freezer) with frozen veggie

Saturday - Leftovers (most likely lasagna as even the 9x9 half a recipe is a lot of food)

Sunday - Homemade pasta, tossed with olive oil, tomatoes, herbs, and Parmesan, served with bread and green beans

This week I bought:

Grocery Store = $24.13
Onion
Green onions
Carrots
Green Beans
Bananas
Tomatoes
Peaches
Raspberries (not on menu but on sale and Craig wanted them and I can't say no to him :-)
Frozen Peas
Frozen Corn
Sour Cream
Milk
Eggs

Weekly total =$24.13

Monthly total to date = $76.01

Check out more meal plans here.

No comments :

Post a Comment