5.08.2015

Could be worse

Growing up, one of our family's favorite books was "Could be Worse." I haven't read it as an adult. I'm a little afraid that it won't hold up to my expectations. That's always the risk. Ferdinand the bull was as wonderful as I remember it being, The Berenstein Bear - not so much. But I probably should try it because we liked it enough that "could be worse" quote was one my mom used to use a lot around us kids.

I was thinking about that expression a few nights ago. Because you know what's worse than having insomnia?

Having insomnia when you are pregnant and sick and exhausted.

What's worse than having insomnia when you are pregnant and sick and exhausted?

Lying in bed watching your husband sleep peacefully and getting all the rest while you have insomnia when you are pregnant and sick and exhausted. (I won't say I thought bad thoughts about him that night, but I won't say I didn't either)

What's worse than lying in bed watching your husband sleep peacefully while you have insomnia when you are pregnant and sick and exhausted?

Lying in bed watching your husband sleep peacefully getting all the rest while you have insomnia when you are pregnant and sick and exhausted - and trying to distract yourself by thinking of a song or hymn but being unable to get "Give Me Oil in my lamp" out of your head. You know...

Give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning, burning, burning
Give me oil in my lamp, I pray
Give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning, burning, burning
Keep me burning 'til the break of day

Now, I like singing Hosanna as much as the next gal, I just prefer to do it after a nice nights sleep and this felt a lot like my subconscious was mocking me.

Oh well, could be worse.

No comments :

Post a Comment