1.29.2009

Dual Allegiance

Like schoolchildren across the country, Texan kids say the Pledge of Allegiance each morning. But then, they say another pledge, to the Texas flag. It goes something like this:
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible.
This is no surprise to you Texan readers, but those of you from elsewhere might be amused by this, like I was. Although if I had to guess which state had its own pledge, I'd have guessed Texas. Do you know of any other states that have their own pledge? That they use?

3 comments :

  1. I actually didn't do that in school very often. I've probably sung "Texas our Texas" more than I've pleged my allegience to the beautiful flag of Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. When I worked in Brenham, we said it every morning, but without the "one state under God" part. Which is especially interesting in a district that has corporal punishment and the moment of silence, allows teachers to say Merry Christmas, and kicks the school year off with a ceremony for teachers that plays hymns and a prayer meeting on the football field for all affliated with the district.

    And like Amanda said, we didn't all grow up saying the pledge to Texas. I actually had to learn it when I taught.

    ReplyDelete