1.08.2009

Scandalous Old Cartoons

Any fan of Looney Tunes cartoons knows that much of the stuff that happens in them would not fly today. Images of Daffy Duck repeatedly getting shot in the face come to mind. Other cartoons of the period are similarly taboo today, such as Disney's Song of the South.

Today at my substitute job in an elementary music classroom, I led the kids in that classic substitute activity, watching a video. We watched one that contained some slightly objectionable bits, by modern standards. It was called Make Mine Music, which was released in 1946 and includes several musical animated shorts. Along with repeated physical assaults of a fan of the team playing against Mudville in a rendition of "Casey at the Bat," there was a bit entitled "All the Cats Join In."

While you may or may not want to watch the whole thing, I direct your attention to the risque scene that starts at 1:39. The kids quite enjoyed it. In addition, I thought the piece that starts at 4:03 was funny. The kids didn't appreciate its humor (or messages about beauty and self-image) too much, though, from what I could tell.



4 comments :

  1. A few thoughts:

    1. I question the educational value of that cartoon.

    2. Except that it taught me that I wish I had been a teenager in the 50's.

    3. The best scandalous old cartoon I ever saw, without question, was a WWII version of the Three Little Pigs. It's un-kosher because of a pretty gross depiction of Japanese people, but its take on events was hilarious. The first two little pigs scoff at the idea that the Hitler-wolf will turn on them, because [in squeaky little pigs voices] "We have a treaty!" Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this when I was little. Seeing it again just makes me laugh. You are right on about the funny parts. Love that shower scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you teach / substitute at a private school? I'd be very surprised to learn that such an un-PC cartoon was shown at a public school today.

    I must admit I enjoyed it, but I did a double-take during the shower scene. I think the artist strategically placed the towel rod holder (especially the left circular flange) to give just the illusion I had which required that I watch that scene again to be sure of what I was seeing.

    Thanx again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, this was a public school. And after watching the video again, I see what you are referring to.

    ReplyDelete