7.18.2009

In which I am about a month behind

I was recently reminded that I never told you how the baby shower turned out. Which is very rude of me considering how helpful y'all were.

For the gift, I went with this pattern and used the softest pooh fabric I could find. The original pattern is the wide one but I thought I think my diapers were narrower than here and it was too much fabric since the plain diaper parts were going to be more absorbent so I did two wide and two narrow. Except for the part where I learned you absolutely can't take out a stitch once it gets woven into the diaper mesh, it was a really easy project that I will probably do again.
Fallon made the cake and it was so adorable! Piglet, Pooh and the little butterfly were made of fondant ahead of time but the rest of the decorating was done on site in just the hour or so before the party. Talk about working under pressure but she did such an amazing job. It was the talk of the party.
For the menu, we served:
Piglets in a blanket (I think that was Craig's idea but I liked it :-)
Rabbit's tomato salad
Pooh's honey-yogurt dip with fruit
Eeyore's sour-faced mini key lime pies
Punch (Someone else fixed the punch but it used lifesavor brand sherbet as is sooo good and I'm not normally a big fan of punch. If you ever make punch with sherbet, use the lifesavor kind. Trust me.)
And for decorations, we just used lots of pretty girly platters and lacy tablecloths that the home hostess had on hand. Another co-hostess found three or four large stuffed characters on Craig's list, cleaned them up real well and set them around the room. The mom then got to take them home. It fit the theme but was still elegant. She also made the mother and grandmothers corsages with baby socks and ribbons. Too cute!

Taking in all your thoughts about the positives and negatives of games and the issue of not knowing at all how many people would be there, I went with an out of the box craft idea instead. We all decorated 4X6 scrapbook pages with verses we thought would encourage a new mom. These went into a stand up flip type photo album so she can have them displayed in the baby's room. I was a little worried that some of the women would lament their lack of craftiness and hesitate to participate but they all joined in and it turned out great. There were quite a few young ladies (10-14ish) that knew the mom very well and their obvious effort to make something special for her was so amazing to watch. Alas, I didn't get a picture of it as I was having too much fun talking with everyone.

So thanks for all your planning help and if you ever are hosting a winnie the pooh baby shower, you now know what to do. Of course, you have to get super talented co-hostesses and a mom as sweet as the one I had to work with which is next to impossible, but you can still try.

No comments :

Post a Comment