7.02.2009

Nourishing Beginnings: Part 2

Okay, now that you have a idea of how I feel about food, what do we really eat around here? Well, as much as I try to avoid "diets" with lists of dos and don'ts, sometimes it is easier to explain things in that way. So here is what we try to do:
  • Lots of fruits and vegetables. Local and in season if possible (I wish we were better about this but I really do love bananas). We don't really do organic. Often I get it from the farmer's market and it is practically if not "certified" organic. For things we get from the store, I just buy the general stuff.
  • Variety of whole grains, mostly soaked or sprouted. I don't typically make our sandwich bread but I do make bread for dinner with soaked whole wheat (and sometimes rye). Our sandwich bread is normally any basic 100% whole wheat bread (I try to find one without high fructose corn syrup) but lately I've been getting Ezekiel 4:9 bread which is made with wheat, barley, spelt, lentils and millet. It's expensive but I love it. We also eat a lot of oats, brown rice and sometimes quinoa.
  • Variety of protein sources. I think meats are a great source of proteins and nutrients and shouldn't be avoided for fear of fat. I try to have one chicken, one pork/beef and one fish meal each week but we also get a lot of protein from eggs (pastured when possible), beans (soaked) and dairy.
  • Lots of healthy fats. But my idea of healthy fats is not what commercials and packaging would say it is. I don't mind saturated fats. We eat lots of butter, full fat (and raw if budget allows) milk, sour cream, cream cheese, yogurt, etc. I cook with coconut oil and olive oil and avoid vegetable oils and low-fat items.
  • Lots of probiotics and fermented food. Yogurt, kefir and lacto-fermented foods are all fairly regular parts of my diet now.
  • Few processed foods/snacks. Yes, we occasionally buy crackers or cookies and I don't turn down sweets when they are offered by others but I try to avoid buying them and for most of my baked goods I try and use less processed sweeteners like honey or maple syrup.
Things I wish we did (or did better):
  • Organic/local fruit and veggies. It would be nice to buy all our fruits and vegetables organically and locally. But right now, I think our food budget is better off spent on other things. Quantity over quality is our produce motto at this moment.
  • Organic/grass-fed/pastured meat. I do buy a lot of our meat locally from the university but it isn't definitely isn't organic or pasture raised. I wish we could do pastured chickens and I would love to have a big freezer so I could buy half a beef but it isn't practical right now. Oh well, maybe someday.
  • Less sugar and sweets. Getting sugar out of our diet is one of the hardest changes we have been making. I often feel like it is two steps forward and one step back but we try our best.
  • Less processed pantry items and condiments - like mayo and ketchup, cheese, cream cheese, spaghetti. I don't buy low fat versions but many are still loaded with sugar and preservatives that I would prefer to avoid.

5 comments :

  1. So, I know this is weird, but I'm actually slightly against organic food. (Except maybe meat? But I assume that's way to expensive to be an option for me anytime soon.) I've felt that way ever since I saw it pointed out that if every farmer switched over to growing things organically, they could all together only feed four billion people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are two things with that though:

    1) I don't like not doing something because of what would happen if everyone else did. People always say "What if everyone had 18 kids like the Duggars?" That's a silly question because it isn't going to happen. It's not a physical possibility for most people nor a lifestyle choice many are likely to make so why should the Duggar's change their behavior because of some theoretical "what if..." And you could also say "What if everyone remained childless?" - does that mean people who don't marry/don't have kids are responsible for the destruction of the world? Sorry I'm going off on a tangent but that is a pet peeve of mine and it does relate because I feel the same way about organic food. I know that this lifestyle isn't for everyone so I'm not going to worry about the effect it would have if everyone choose to follow it.

    2) World Hunger is a serious problem. But I don't think it caused by a lack of food, but rather a lack of resources and the food being in the wrong places. A common argument I hear from vegetarians is that you can get X number of times more plant based food than from the same amount of land with animals on it. Well, that may be true, but not all land is usable for farming. There are lots of areas where animals do quite nicely that a bunch of rice or wheat wouldn't. If you want to be a vegetarian, fine. But I'm not going to feel guilty for starving a bunch of people because I eat meat.

    Wow, this was a long reply. Can you tell I'm slightly passionate about this. But don't be scared, I love the discussion. Keep it coming :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I don't have a problem with people buying organic food because they prefer it, I just think it's dumb for people to act like they're doing a service to the planet when they buy organic. It's only helping "the planet" if you don't care about the part of "the planet" that is people. I wasn't criticizing you, my point is just that I don't buy about organic food and I don't feel guilty about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I do agree with that. I don't really do much for "the planet" in general, most of the hippy things I do are because I think they are better for me as a person, not the planet as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I rarely feel guilty about anything not do I really think I should. Convicted - yes, guilty - no.

    ReplyDelete