1.25.2010

Why crochet is better than knitting

This is the silly little blanket I started in the fall of 2008. I finally finished it a week or two ago and the end results- ugliness.

It's not that the blocks are uneven. I knew I would get better as the project progressed and I'm okay with the first couple being lopsided. But the stitching that was supposed to be "invisible" is not and makes it look like Frankenstein* put it together. It's actually worse than it looks in the picture, I tried to hid most of the bad parts. I guess Nigel won't care too much but I do not think it was worth the many many hours I put into it. I could look up better stitching directions, take out the piecing yarn and try again, but I already hate this blanket and am ready to be done with it.

On the other hand, I got this done in just four days and love it!
It wasn't a coordinating pattern set, I just found two I liked and used the same yarn. The stitching is different but it still looks like it goes together. And it isn't completely done. The last step will come when the baby is born. What you see above is the boy version. The girl version involves flipping the hat so it has a little rim (it's hard to see in the picture) and then sewing a flower to the jacket and another to the hat. Then I will attach the button to the gender correct side of the jacket.
I was planning on waiting and buying pink yarn for the flowers if/when I needed too but I made that one flower to practice and Craig and I both decided we liked it with just two colors. Now I just need to make one more but with the colors reversed for that hat so that I am fully prepared for both gender possibilities. Except I forgot and returned the book with the pattern to the library. Now that we are moving, I guess I'll probably just have to find a different flower pattern online somewhere and use that. But since I still have 4+months to go before May, I'm pretty sure it will be done in time.

*You do know that Frankenstein was the scientist and that the creature often referred to as Frankenstein is actually Frankenstein's monster, right?

2 comments :

  1. I have to agree that for almost all projects, crochet is far superior to knitting. But for scarves, I have to admit that I like knit better. Even if it means I get calluses while watching movies and my head math (10 rows a day, 300 rows to finish, 30 days) never works out.

    I'm glad I know someone who can tell the difference between Frank and his monster. The book was so much better than the movies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see a baby in that sweater!

    ReplyDelete