5.04.2010

Tutes I’ve tried

Slowly and steadily, I’ve been working on my before baby comes craftiness to-do list but I’ve been pretty lazy about taking pictures until now. So here is a quick recap of what I’ve accomplished.

100417 Cape G 010

Lots of burp rags made from random scrap fabrics, some with ribbon trim, some without. My favorite is the top sushi one. I don’t know why but a sushi burp rag really makes me smile. I also like the second one because it matches my purse (which will become a diaper bag) and it’s new coordinating changing pad clutch:

100417 Cape G 003

I followed this tutorial and one of the commenter’s suggestions so it can fit anything from two pocket diapers down to just the wipes case. 100417 Cape G 005

Here it is opened. The purple is a little girly but I had leftover terry cloth from a Christmas project and didn’t want to waste it. I also used the same terry cloth and some leftover flannel to make some baby wipes. The ones on the left are double sided heavy duty type while the right side are just basic flannel, cut and zig-zag stitched to prevent unraveling. They are pretty ugly but functional.

100417 Cape G 006

I also made some mama cloth and nursing pads.

100417 Cape G 014

and this fun fabric box for Nigel’s toys that will go on

100417 Cape G 015

Nigel’s living room shelf with his/her books and blanket. 100417 Cape G 016

It’s a pretty small box but that was intentional. If I have a small toy box, we can only have a small number of toys, right? That box followed the tutorial’s dimensions but I used the same technique to make a bigger rectangular box to hold diapers and wipes.

100417 Cape G 007

It’s overflowing right now but after Nigel is born, they won’t ever be all clean at once so that won’t be a problem!

100417 Cape G 012

I also made a swaddle blanket from some soft thin cotton fabric my mom found in my old fabric stash from her basement. I have no idea why I had a baby alphabet fabric in there but I won’t complain. It is 42x42 since that is supposedly a better swaddling size that the smaller receiving blankets size although when I tried to swaddle a teddy bear it seemed like a lot of fabric. Now I need to make another one but am torn about what size to go with.

DSC_0066

I think my favorite project though was this set of baby legs. The original tutorial I linked to was a bit confusing but this one describes it better and it really is a super easy project. It probably took my less than 10 minutes and the socks only cost me $3 at Wal-mart. The hardest part is finding non-girly socks but I recently noticed that Target had a new stand with really cute socks for $2, several of which would work for boys too if you're interested :-)

1 comment :