9.23.2009

Fabric makes me happy I'm a girl.

I've been wanting to make a tote bag for a while now but wanted something more complex than the basic grocery sack type and was weary of attempting it. I'm actually not the best at sewing. Quilting I can do but with sewing, I need good tutorials or I get into trouble. But Fallon recently made a bag and it turned out so good that after a little pep talk from her, I headed off to a local fabric store she discovered. After roaming and roaming the store trying to pick from all the amazing fabric they had, I spent more money than I am willing to admit on 2.75 yards of fabric and left happy but broke.

But I think it was worth it!
I used the all day tote pattern from Lotta Jansdotter's Simply Sewing and really took my time and tried to do it right (I think it helped that I knew the fabric was expensive.) I left out the key clip (I hate those!) but it has two pockets inside for my cell phone and pens
plus a water bottle pocket on the outside and my very favorite part - a book slot. I'd never seen that before but I love it.
Now I can take one bag to work every day instead of my purse stuffed with a book, my lunch bag and my water bottle (I looked ridiculous when it rained and I can to carry all that while holding an umbrella). This is so much more convenient and colorful. And when it gets dirty, I can just throw it in the wash. Plus, that 2.75 yards of fabric was more than I need because I wanted to give the rest to Amanda to make me a matching wallet. She started selling them not too long ago, check them out (scroll to the bottom of the page, the pictures don't even do them justice, they are so cute!) I just have to wait until my slush fund recovers :-) Oh, I just love fun fabric. It makes life so much better.

7 comments :

  1. What a cute purse, MacKenzie. You did a great job on it. I went to a purse party several weeks ago, and I bought a purse for $51.00. That was about the cheapest one there. I like it, but I don't love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MacKenzie, that's a great bag and I love the fabric you chose. It is amazing how fabric costs can add up - but when you get quality and originality, it is hard to regret the purchase. What I really like is the pocket you made for your water bottle. I looked at the link and noticed your friend put pockets on the inside-did you too? Did you wing the pockets or were you following a pattern? Anyway, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, duh! Now I see where you wrote about the pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the book in the pocket "When I Don't Desire God"? I use fabric and yarn in my fight for joy as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just fabric? What about chocolate? And shoes? And chick flicks? And TLC? And bubble baths?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wardeh - I think your right, I don't mind spending the money if I use it wisely.

    Aggierudy - I'm impressed you recognized it. And yes, craft supplies help me too!

    June/Mom - Oh, fabric was not supposed to be the exclusive reason by any means. And while I guess boys could technically enjoy chocolate too, but I don't think it's the same for them so that might be near the top of the list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the plug MacKenzie! I appreciate your enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete