3.02.2011

3 more!

I've been busy reading. I finished up three more historical non-fiction books for my challenge and for those who have been on the edge of their seat, I will let you know that I am still working on Gone with the Wind. I'm about half way through and I will admit, it is growing on me. I do think it helped to stop thinking about it as a love story.

Anyway, on to the reviews:

Dark Road to Darjeeling by Deanne Raybourn

The 4th in the Lady Julia Grey.  As you may guess from the title, this one is set in India where Julia is assisting two of her siblings in their attempt to "rescue" Jane, who for ease of explanation I'll call a friend who's husband died mysteriously leaving her with child. She and Brisbane are both working the case but neither is willing to assist the other more than seems to be absolutely necessary.

I obviously like this series or I wouldn't still be reading it :-) Everytime I pick up one of Raybourn's books, I find I can hardly put it down until I'm at the end and in some ways I think this was one of my favorite of the series. The new characters were interesting and I enjoyed getting to know some of the minor characters a bit more. And unlike one or two earlier ones in this series, there were several big reveals that I just didn't seem coming.

 I was curious to see how the dynamic between Brisbane and Julia would change now that they are married but I think Raybourn did a good job with having their relationship progress and not plateau. I've heard complaints that Julia's character is annoying is this one but I didn't think so, she is just struggling to understand her role in her marriage and her detective work. Maybe I sympathize with her struggles with selfishness at the beginning of her marriage too much to be unable to forgive her for that :-)

That isn't to say it is perfect, this one like all the others has a few things I wish she had left out and I thought the ending was a bit sad. Plus I can't help but compare it to the Lady Emily Mysteries by Tasha Alexander and I must say I think I prefer those just a tad bit more. But there is always room in my life for both and I will continue to read these.

The Inimitable Jeeves/Very Good, Jeeves - P.D. Wodehouse

I'm reviewing these two together because they are very similar. I found these at my parent's house and didn't even realize they were the inspiration for the tv show Jeeves and Wooster until I started reading. Even though I've only seen one episode of the show and that was several years ago, it didn't take long though for me to figure it out, seeing as the main characters are two men named Jeeves and Wooster (didn't see that one coming did you?). I'm going to have to find some episodes of the show now.

The books are composed of little lighthearted stories about the young gentleman Wooster who always finds himself in tough spots. Luckily he has his very helpful valet Jeeves to assist him with his dilemmas. If Jeeves has a fault, it would be that poor Wooster suffers in comparison. It reminded me that I need a bit more humor in my life, laughter is good for the soul. A great book to keep in your car for filling those few minutes when you are waiting in the grocery store parking lot for your baby to wake up, or waiting in the garage for your baby to wake up or waiting outside Target for your baby to wake up...or at the dentist I suppose. I'm glad they're are more of them in the series.


1 comment :

  1. I really need to see if our library has The Dark Road. I like the Lady Julia mysteries more than I should.

    The author has (had?) a very interesting blog too, although I haven't checked it recently. I actually liked the author more than I expected.

    ReplyDelete