4.18.2011

Colds and Cukes

I have a confession. Last week's posts were all set to autopost. I always feel sneaky when do autoposting like that but I was busy fighting for my life against the worst cold known to man. Maybe I am being a bit melodramatic but that cold kicked my butt.

It started last Sunday and everyday I would go to bed thinking that surely I would feel a little better in the morning but it just didn't happen. Finally by Friday I started to feel slightly non-dead and by Sunday all that remained was the cough is my chest. Sunday was Craig's day off . We were supposed to have some friends over but they have an itty bitty baby and we didn't want to risk exposing her so that fun was postponed. Instead I blew off cleaning up after a weeks' worth of undone chores and we went to outside to work/play before trying out our new grill for the first time.

We have planted all the blackberries and strawberries now. It's a bit depressing that we have to wait until next summer to taste the results but I try to consol myself with thoughts of fresh vegetables like the cukes, beets and onions we just planted being ready for harvest in a few months.

Speaking of veggies, we've been getting our fresh produce through a co-op lately. Every two weeks we get a big basket. It's only $23 but we don't know what we will be getting . So far, I've enjoyed the challenge. I have to be a bit more flexible with my meal planning to account for the unknowns but its allowed me to be a bit more adventurous. And I even made a meal with mushrooms that I liked! Of course, I didn't actually eat the mushrooms but Craig and Lucy enjoyed them while I picked out the chicken.

One thing I am trying to do with our meals introduce more variety. Lucy is the impetus because I want to expose her while she is young and doesn't automatically think things will be yucky but it will be good for Craig and I too. With the exception of mushrooms and eggplant, there are not very many foods I don't enjoy and Craig and Lucy are pretty similar in their non-pickiness, I'm just don't think about new foods. But my current goal is to incorporate a wider variety of not just vegetables but fruits, grains, beans and nuts into our normal menus.

Am I the only one with this problem? How do you get yourself to think outside of the box when it comes to meal planning? Feel free to share any crazy or unusual recipes that your family likes?

1 comment :

  1. I have no real tips, but I agree! It's true, having John around is motivation to eat a wider variety of food. We did finally find a way to like Eggplant (cut it really thick, like at least an inch, brush with olive oil & salt and grill on low heat) but it took a lot of experimenting. Here's to eating more veggies!

    ReplyDelete