4.20.2011

Coming along

Lucy's room is coming along. I don't know why I'm in such a hurry with it, it's not like she is actually sleeping there yet or even knows its her room. Perhaps its because its fun to design kid rooms :-) The theme is sublte vintage farm. I know that sounds like I just stuck three artsy fartsy words together but its my vision and you can't argue with the way my brain works (just ask Craig :-)

I want to get a few more things finished before I have a full reveal but I do have another project to share. Lucy has to share her space with the office and I wanted in/out boxes but I still wanted them to work with the theme. I bounced around from idea (galvanized metal magazine racks - only available at pottery barn so way outta my budget) to idea (build white shelf to put regular bins on - boring and too much work) before I saw this post - perfect!

That tutorial is pretty good so I won't replicate it but I will say I made mine baskets smaller than hers and used wider "holed" hardware cloth so it looked a little more farmy. I thought about using chicken wire but decided that would make it tricker than I wanted to deal with.

Instead of using fabric labels I found a $0.99 pack of four wooden labels and used some leftover chalkboard paint to make mini chalkboard labels. If you don't have chalkboard paint, you might be able to get away with using black or dark grey paint since you probably won't actually need to alter the labels. Then Craig drilled teeny tiny holes and I attached them using the same wire I built the basket with. Here is one of the three:



And here is what they look like above the desk. And yes, this is what they normally look like. The "in" has a couple things, "out" is empty but "act" is overflowing. I'd say its because we've had a busy week and that is true, but it pretty much always is that full.

I'll try to finish up the last few projects in there so I can show you the whole room. I'm really starting to love it!

No comments :

Post a Comment